Jay Peak- lodging help?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question Jay Peak- lodging help?

Looking to get up to Jay this Friday and need to find a decent inexpensive place to stay Thursday night. Love it if anyone has recommendations!
    Thanks!

I've never been, but from what I hear Grandpa Grunts may fit the bill...
    Life's to short for warm-up runs
    All skis are rock skis

If looking for just a bed, more specifically a mattress on a box spring, the Snowshoe Lodge in Montgomery will fit the bill. Just don't expect anything but snow on your TV. On the upside, it is color snow, and I did get perfect sound on three or four channels my first visit. The bar is pretty cool, good food, live bands. If you like neighborhood bars, check them out, even if you don't stay in the flop house upstairs, lots of entertaining locals. http://www.snowshoelodgeandpubvt.com/

The Snowshoe is very colorful - the locals are always interesting. Loggers, misfits, outcasts and generally fun people.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days

Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    The Snowshoe is very colorful - the locals are always interesting. Loggers, misfits, outcasts and generally fun people.
    No wonder I liked it there, I fit right in!

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhead View Post
    No wonder I liked it there, I fit right in!
    +1
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days

Lodging for Jay is a bit tough. It would help if you told us what direction you are coming from?

If you're coming from the west or through NY state and looking for an area with some restaurants, grocery stores etc... there's an Econo Lodge in St. Albans (exactly 1 hour to Jay). Many people that ski Jay just stay in Burlington with its' myriad lodging options, though that's 1h 25 minute drive to Jay. If you just want to be close and dont care about the particulars, there are at least 3 or 5 little motels/inns/B&Bs near Jay. Just do a GOOG maps lodging search with a zoomed in view on the Montgomery/Jay Peak area and they'll pop up.
    Last edited by BenedictGomez; Jan 8, 2013 at 8:30 AM.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

I stayed at Grampa Grunts and ate at Snowshoe on 12/30. The beds at Grampa Grunts are comfortable, but the place is very rustic. Pretty much all the furniture looks like it was found on the side of the road. There is a pool table downstairs, and if there's a good crowd it can be cool, but be prepared to be woken up late at night or at the crack of dawn. It's like living in a college dorm again, basically.

Snowshoe had cheap beer and good eats. Strange crowd, but friendly crowd.
    All skiing is good. Some skiing isn't as good. But all skiing is good.

@mtncobber on the instafeeds.

Newport City Motel a couple minutes off 91 and 25 minutes to the mountain. Cheap and comfortable enough. A step up from the grunt thing. I have never stayed at Snowshoe but have been told that the noise from the live bands makes it a bit hard to get to sleep.
    form is a 4 letter word

Still haven't made it up this year! Thanks for the info on SS and the like, I'll check them out. What the heck happened to the Cedarwood resort?!

Thread Information