• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cargo Box vs. Roof Rack

xwhaler

Hmmm.....its not so much the weight (44 lbs) but the length and awkwardness of the box...no good way to grab and lift it over your head.
I should note this is going on a Kia Sorento which is pretty high...I could see getting it up onto a, lower roof Outback or something to be easier.
I'll probably give it a shot and hope I dont drop it!

Last edited:

tree_skier

I have a storage rack in the garage that i can pull next to. It is a little higher then the vehicle so I never have to lower the box. By myself i just grab in the middle and transfer from one to the other. For aft balance is the tricky part, but thats what the head is for

Puck it

Hmmm.....its not so much the weight (44 lbs) but the length and awkwardness of the box...no good way to grab and lift it over your head.
I should not this is going on a Kia Sorento which is pretty high...I could see getting it up onto a, lower roof Outback or something to be easier.
I'll probably give it a shot and hope I dont drop it!

I lift my Barrecraft box on the FJ which is a lot higher than the Sorrento by myself. I just pick it up over my head and rest one end on the rack and then rotate the end on. The hard for the FJ is clamping down to the cross members.

BenedictGomez

If your roof rails do not have cross members then you need to buy rails.

My Envoy's rack is basically a square. So I guess I'd just need the locking mechanisms in addition to the box. The woman wants us to get one, but there aint no way I'm paying $700 to $1000! This would have to be a Craigslist or yard sale buy.

Smellytele

Someone on here was saying how thin plastic they are. My thule one while off my vehicle blew over and cracked. The crack was like 3 feet long. I duct taped it first then glued it together with gorilla glue. once the glue cured I took the tape off, sanded it and painted it black. No leaks and it looks fine.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
To most non-skiers it's a minor thing, but besides 4wd, one of the main things I liked about a new Outback I bought last year was that you can fold down the 40% side of the 60/40 rear seat backs and put a lot of long skis inside the cargo area, yet still sit four people in the vehicle. With this configuration I felt I never needed a roof box. I subsequently picked-up a used $10 roof ski rack, which is super easy to attach to the Outback factory rack just in case I get in a rare situation where I need to carry five passengers.

Used to work in a ski shop in the 80's ....seen more than one set of bindings rendered junk by road salt, lucky they brought them in for a tune, can imagine how many people don't . Knee injury for sure
I keep em in the car..through the trunk and in between the seat split. or back of a van , as long as they are out of the weather.

Farleyman

Saw the sportube online at llbean, looks like a good idea. Straps to your roof and you can check it at the airport for travel.looks like it comes in a few different sizes. And has the ll bean life time warranty!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

timm

Only thing I don't like about the roof box is I have to take it off after every weekend or trip because the clearance at my office garage is too low for it.

dlague

Only thing I don't like about the roof box is I have to take it off after every weekend or trip because the clearance at my office garage is too low for it.

Ya - that is a problem! After skiing, my wife and I like to head over to one of our favorite restaurants and there is little on street parking and lots of parking garage parking. However, I get lazy and hope to find on street parking every time.

Scruffy

Skis belong in the car.

Yup.

If you have to roof em, get a box, open racks are never cool.

True story: Me and the missus heading to Platty after a dump. Crested the hill on 28 just past Belleayre. Mercedes sedan pulls out of the mountain road leading up to Belleayre with roof box, Thule or something, mounted on roof. Apparently the Mercedes was dumping the Bell for Platty. They were right behind me on that big descent down 28, doing 70ish. For whatever reason I just happened to look in my rear view at just the right time and the wind had got a hold of the apparently unlatched box and forced it open. Once the lid was open, the wind tore the thing to shreds - skis, poles, and pieces of thule box all over the road. Keep your box latched and locked!

wa-loaf

Seen at the AZ Summit few years ago:

attachment.php

Attachments

• box.jpg
    box.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 193

skiNEwhere

I've seen storrow drive do that to many uhauls.

I have the topper on the bed of the truck, so I'll just toss them in there

Last edited:

hammer

Have a box but it has the old style clamps which make it difficult to install. Used to install it on my Subaru and leave it for the season. Neither car has a roof rack now so we just fold a seat and load the skis in the back.

Maybe I should the box up for sale here...

skiNEwhere

Anyone been guilty of this?? Never done it, or plan on doing it, I saw it once on Loveland pass, set up perpendicular on the back of the bike. Not sure if that's even legal

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1410977662.823437.jpgImageUploadedByAlpineZone1410977669.334366.jpg

gmcunni

new (to me, off craigslist) box for the new car. downsizing from the acadia to subi means not as much room inside with a full passenger load.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1737.jpg
    IMG_1737.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 82