most difficult trail in the east - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    For most difficult run in the East, I would venture starting with the back side trail at Sugarloaf (High Rigger) and then continuing down the side of the mountain's incredible chutes (technically out of bounds) and then finishing off with a long run through Brackett Basin (Formerly Cant Dog Glade). But that is more than one trail so it might not be what everyone is looking for.

2013-2014 Season
    Mt. Abram 4/4
    Sunday River: 12/26, 1/4, 1/5, 2/15, 4/4
    Wildcat: 4/1
    Sugarloaf: 3/1, 3/16
    Titcomb: 3/15
    Black Mountain NH: 1/13

"A Maine Ski Lift Enthusiast" page
    2012-2013 Season

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    Here is Avalanche at Denton. I'm gonna go ahead and say Nope to this being a very difficult trail.Attachment 7295

BTW I've skied back sides of some moguls which were probably 90 degree pitch .. perhaps that is what they measured at Denton?
    Maybe they measured from the vertical plane instead of from the flat. Looks more like 24 deg than 66.

Here are the facts on Avalanche at Denton:

SKI DENTON
    Avalanche @ Ski Denton: 500 vertical over 1002 length = 26.52*.
    307 vertical over 500 length = 31.55*.
    164 vertical over 200 length = 39.35*.
    94 vertical over 100 length = 43.23*. And this is high resolution. This is hugging skier's left of the top part of the run.

Taken from this awesome site:
    http://ski-degrees.synthasite.com

^^ All your answers are here.
    2013/2014 [Berkshire East: Jan16] [Bolton Valley: Feb22, Feb23] [Bromley: Jan26] [Butternut: Mar9] [Killington: Nov17, Feb2] [Magic: Feb6] [Pico: Feb16] [Sugarbush: Mar2]

2012/2013 [Berkshire East: Dec30, Feb16, Feb24] [Jay Peak: Mar31] [Jiminy Peak: Dec25, Feb10] [Killington: Nov17, Nov23, Jan1, Jan27] [Magic: Dec29, Jan5, Feb28] [Mount Snow: Apr1] [Mt. Ellen: Dec23] [Okemo: Dec15] [Pico: Mar2, Mar10] [Stratton: Dec1]

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    Black Line is a good contender but it's drops are fairly small, although there are several steep pitches. Magician looks like it could be a good contender as well although it was still closed so I did not ski it.
    Upper Magician has a sustained 45 degree pitch for 250-300 yards the rest of the trail below broomstick is much mellower. The top gnarly sectionof Black Magic is also closed and only open from the traverse at Witch. I'd agree with Rivercoil and say that Red Line has more pucker factor than Black Magic/Black Line. Having skied slides 1 and 3 at Whiteface, I woudl agree they rank up at the top in the east.

Quote Originally Posted by gladerider View Post
    imho, i don't think anything in the east coast comes close to the slides. depending on which day you pick you are literally risking your life. for example, if you take slide 1 on a bad day, you have 10-20+ feet waterfall in front of you with no bail out unless you hike back up. all of my trip there required mandatory jumps over ice, rock ledges and etc with very sketch landing. of course this all depends on condition, but. the first time i was there i couldn't believe this was east coast trail.
    I've never skied The Slides, but is this account really true?

That seems different from most trip reports I've read and pictures I've seen that seem to suggest that a decently advanced black or DDskier should be okay in there. Risking your life seems a bit dramatic. And I've seen pictures of that waterfall, and I have a hard time believing the highest possible drop point is a true 10 feet, let alone 20 feet, but perhaps I'm mistaken?

EDIT: Completely unrelated, but Whiteface posted a picture of a guy doing a back-flip off a cliff in there (which looked avoidable) that was maybe 12 foot tall I'd guess. Awesome picture sequence on their facebook page if you havent seen it.
    THINK SNOW!

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    I've never skied The Slides, but is this account really true?

That seems different from most trip reports I've read and pictures I've seen that seem to suggest that a decently advanced black or DDskier should be okay in there. Risking your life seems a bit dramatic. And I've seen pictures of that waterfall, and I have a hard time believing the highest possible drop point is a true 10 feet, let alone 20 feet, but perhaps I'm mistaken?

EDIT: Completely unrelated, but Whiteface posted a picture of a guy doing a back-flip off a cliff in there (which looked avoidable) that was maybe 12 foot tall I'd guess. Awesome picture sequence on their facebook page if you havent seen it.
    A lot of BS if you ask me. Are there some decent size drops in there? Yes. Are they avoidable? Completely.

Does anyone know if there are any skiable lines from the ridge on Whiteface? Never heard of anyone skiing but always thought in a good year it could be possible. Looks similar to Jay's ridge with some serious cliff bands.

Define skiing?

Live, Ski or Die Trying!!!
    "Life is not measured by the numbers of breaths we take, but by the ski runs that take our breath away."

SKI THE EAST!!!!!!

if find any green trail on a weekend to be the most difficult..like long john at mt snow. if you don't take someone out or vice versa its a miracle....always stay black!

Could we put the whole Denton thing to rest...its silly..really.
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Thread Information