• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

most difficult trail in the east

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I'd say Hillman's is steeper than any of the WF Slides but not as steep as anything in the Tuckerman bowl proper. A great long rung with fairly consistent pitch, steepest at the top.

MadMadWorld

I would guess that Hillman's highway is in the 35-40 degree range but very sustained. Certainly not as steep as anything in the headwall including the top of the left and right gullies. I hiked to the top of Dodge's drop one year (from Hillman's highway) and I would venture about 50 degrees but sustained for a while, whereas the headwall is only 50 degrees at the very top. Never skied Dodge's drop because it is 'no-mistake' run. You may definitely die if you fall. In the headwall, especially early in the ski season, there are a few lines where if you fall you'll simply slide with little chance of hitting a rock. In all my years at Tuck I've seen only one skier in Dodge's drop.

Dodge's is probably in the 45-50 range at the top. Same thing for Duchess. Never skied Dodge but did ski Duchess once in 2003. Takes a lot of snow to fill in Duchess but it holds it well once it's there. It's the closest feeling you will get to skiing a couloir in the east.

C-Rex

Really makes you wonder how guys ride/ski things like this:

XavierDeLeRue_TeroRepo.jpg

Or how they can walk with the giant, steel balls they have clanging away in their pants.