• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jiminy Peak- 3/24/04

jimme

The weather was calling for partly sunny skys and temps into the upper 40’s by late morning. It clouded up a bit, but by noon it was fully sunny for the remainder of the day! The temps also got up to 59 degrees!

All the open trails had excellent cover. I didn’t hit a rock or root all day which is odd for me at Jiminy. The snow was sweet Spring Corn on the upper half, but was stick and go mashed potatoes on the lower half. The lack of wind and bright sunny skies made up for the iffy snow near the bottom. Besides, this is what is expected on a warm Spring day skiing in the mountains.

I decided to wear a sweater, probably influenced from the pictures I saw in the Skiing Heritage publication I was reading the night before. It was great to have so little clothing on and go skiing. While there were still many folks wearing their helmets, and had their ski jackets on, many were dressed lightly and had their coats open. I noticed one couple dressed as if it were only 10 degrees above zero. Then on a chair ride with them I discovered they were from Sailsbury, Maryland; no wonder they were so bundled up.

It seemd like “adult skiing day”, meaning there were virtually no teenagers around save for the few young kids that were with parents. I made an effort to not ride the chair alone and had a few good rides. I met some guys who usually ski Windham, but decided to try Jiminy. They were from the NYC area. Another guy I met was on his first day out this season, and was from downstate NY as well. A couple guys joined me and had nothing to say except one or two word answers. This makes me wonder why they bothered making what seemed to be an effort to ride with me. Another interesting fellow with a heavy English accent told me that his job is as a wilderness guide, and that he works out of a ranch I think near Worster, MA.

The day ended with a run down North Glade and onto Merry Go Round. I actually got some good air off the MGR entrance! Took it to Grand Slam and skied down skier’s right of the terrain park. A great ending to a great day!

Jimme 8)

:oops: Not embarassed, but I forgot to wear sunblock and that's what my face looks like now.

Greg

Staff member
Thanks jimme! How long do you think Jiminy has left? I may go this weekend or next if they'll still have coverage...

jimme

This weekend looks like it might be a great one. Here's an excerpt from the Jiminy Snow Report I get each day via email:

" Saturday March 27 is the last night
for night skiing and riding. We plan to be open for day skiing and
riding through either April 4 or April 11. We will keep you apprised of
the situation as time progresses. We don’t expect to run out of snow
(we’ll have white on the slopes through June) but we may run out of
skiers. "

With temps projected for the high 50's/low 60's next week, I'll bet they'll stop Winter ops on the 4th.

There they go again! . . .White on the slopes through June?. . . Since their weather is VERY similar to Albany's I find this difficult to believe.

Jimme