• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ragged 1/11

Robbski

Conditions: Packed powder, groomed
Weather: Overcast, high 20s
Crowds: What's that you say?

Hit Ragged about 10:00 am using $21 Mayan end of the world promo tickets. No lines, nice conditions. Best runs were show boat, flying yankee and exhibition. Ridge was open but the snow wast sort of crusty and chicken headed.

Stopped at Kathleen's Cottage in Bristol for something to eat and a beer on the way back to 93. Cool little Irish lace with a real quality selection of beer and great food.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Chicken Headed?

There's a term I've never heard about snow. :lol:

Looking forward to a visit to Ragged this season. I got a ticket to use, but I'm waiting for the Ravine to open up.

PJ623

I was also at Ragged on 1/11/13. I was there to ski the morning and get to the office after lunch. I got there early and was third chair up on the 6. Aside from a large group of high school racers who were tied up with their races, the mountain was pretty clear. The conditions were much better than I thought. After doing Upper and Lower Exhibition a few times, I made my way over to the Spear Mountain peak. The 3 seat lift that services that peak is painfully slow, but worth it. The best runs were off the Spear Mountain peak. Showboat and Flying Yankee were the best stuff by far . . . groomed and fast. Many avoid the slow lift services Spear, but on 1/11 Spear had the best stuff. I went back and forth between the peaks. Lift lines were non-existent. They just opened Lower Ridge on the Ragged Mountain side and that still has a way to go. Essentially, it was "frozen crud". I left at 12:00 noon just as all the afternoon kids and families were arriving and was at my desk in Boston by 2:00 pm. Not a bad morning.

Robbski

Chicken Headed?

There's a term I've never heard about snow. :lol:

Looking forward to a visit to Ragged this season. I got a ticket to use, but I'm waiting for the Ravine to open up.

Ah. I was manufacturing an adjective out of the "chicken heads and death cookies" icy azzed slope conditions lexicon. Not the urban dictionary definition!

On Friday I would have told you Ravine was one good storm away being skiiable. After this weekend I'm sure it's going to take more than that.

57stevey

Its all gone. Word is that there wasn't enough technical support so they yanked it all out. Back to wickets and sticky back tickets.

It was only a minor nuisance, but I call good riddance anyway.

conwayeast

Heading up there this weekend. Hopefully there are no lift lines and the snow is good. Worth the trip?

Robbski

Crowds should be light given the fact that its a non-holiday weekend and its going to be relatively cold (but warmer than it is now).

Snow quality? I haven't been there since the thaw but they seem to have the guns working hard.