• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Automatic Gear Shifting

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
http://techcrunch.com/2013/01/11/co...crunch+(TechCrunch)&utm_content=Google+Reader

Basically; a way to automatically shift gears based on exertion. This is a ltitle different than other continously variable transmissions we've seen.

Using their new system, which combines some simple mechanics and sensors with the brains of a smartphone attached to the bike, you enter a specific performance goal you are trying to achieve — ride X number of miles in Y number of minutes, for example.
Then, the smartphone attached to the bike is able to calculate, in real time, when your performance has dipped. It then re-calculates and automatically shifts the gears for you to optimize your riding, in relation to your goal.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Doesn't sound like a very good idea to me. Looks like a solution looking for a problem. Any one concerned with performance is riding with a cadence computer so they will know instantly if their cadence or speed is dropping. The appropriate thing to do is kick your speed and cadence back up, not to drop a gear, that isn't going to help you meet your goals.

bvibert

Staff member
Neat tech, but it sounds like an answer to a problem that no one has had.

gottabelight

agree with the two above posts, plus I like having control. Its like a manual vs automatic car. I drive a manual. I like to have the control.