• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wisp Resort 1/12/13

4aprice

Didn't think I'd be writing this report. First time skiing south of the Mason-Dixon line, made the trek out to Western Maryland for the 1st 2 races of the PA Cup. 6 hours west from NJ was killing me knowing 6 hours north puts me at Jay Peak but this trip was about my boy and his racing, not me. Brutal drive out with traffic north of Harrisburgh and then thick fog in western Maryland. Had packed my skis in case they had a discount racer parent ticket and thought that was the only way I would ski. Arrived at the resort to drop off another racer we had given a ride to about 11:30 and was greeted with a view of about a 400-500 ft vert slope full of moguls. Knowing the weather report for warming temps and sun on Sat I knew it was going to be hard to resist. Sure enough there I was Saturday morning forking over the money for a ticket.

Wisp itself is a bump but an interesting one featuring 3 sides. We started Sat by taking the advise of a local and skiing the east side. Nice groomers with a good pitch but obviously short. Creamy springish snow alot of fun. Headed back over to the front to watch the first run and pretty much stayed there with the moguls the rest of the day with breaks to go see the race. Again short but a nice pitch and lots of fun. Nice place and one of the cleanest resorts I have ever been to. Like I said before I never expected to write this report but I had a great time there for a spring day in January and it was worth every penny I spent on the ticket. Also another area under my belt.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

deadheadskier

Staff member
Glad you had a good time. I worked there the 2003-2004 season. Rented a great little place on the Lake.

bdfreetuna

Cool. Wish you had pics... these ski areas so far south are like mythical legend to me. I have to see to believe!

4aprice

Glad you had a good time. I worked there the 2003-2004 season. Rented a great little place on the Lake.

One of those great days DHS. The combination of weather, soft snow and bumps was just great. (actually the best day of the season so far, at Wisp?):eek: Skied till 3 but could have kept going till 5. Impressed with the time I had for a smaller mountain, kudo's to them. Dosen't always take huge vert to have a good day. My home hill should take notice.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ