• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do lobster (3-finger) gloves really work?

New Daddy

Conventional gloves give you dexterity but are not warm enough for me on a cold day. Mitts are incredibly warm but take dexterity away from you to the point that I can't wear them as a skier.

Do lobster (3-finger) gloves take the best of both worlds or the worst of both worlds? I'd like to know before spending nearly $100 on a pair.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I guess it depends on the application. You really don't gain all that much dexterity. I had a pair of lobster gloves I used for mountain biking (Pearl Izumi), and for that application they are great; because you retain two fingers on the handlebar and two on the brakes.

For skiing, I don't know how much benefit you would get. For just holding the poles, they should be totally fine. But then again so are mittens, right?

Puck it

I have a pair of Hestra Heli 3 finger gloves. I use them on really cold days as my hands sweat in them. So, YES!!!!! But do not go cheap. The Hestras will last forever and if they don't and you buy from Backcountry.com. Return them.

New Daddy

For skiing, I don't know how much benefit you would get. For just holding the poles, they should be totally fine. But then again so are mittens, right?

Your hit the nail on the head. I need dexterity not for holding poles, but buckling and unbuckling my boots on every run. I make it a point to unbuckle my boots before getting on a chairlift, because I think it helps with the circulation and prevents fatigue. (This may or may not be scientifically correct, but it's my habit anyway.) I've tried mitts, and you can't easily buckle and unbuckle in them.

Puck it

Your hit the nail on the head. I need dexterity not for holding poles, but buckling and unbuckling my boots on every run. I make it a point to unbuckle my boots before getting on a chairlift, because I think it helps with the circulation and prevents fatigue. (This may or may not be scientifically correct, but it's my habit anyway.) I've tried mitts, and you can't easily buckle and unbuckle in them.

This is what your pole grip is for. No need to bend over. And reverse to tighten.

New Daddy

Turn the pole over and use the top of the grip to lift up on the buckle. Boom. Open. Takes a little practice.

Ok, that's what I thought you meant too, but my boots are kept pretty tight around my feet that I don't think the pole grips would do. Maybe unbuckling, but certainly buckling can't be done with the pole grips controlled remotely. What about the buckles above the ankles? I can't see how it can be done.

wa-loaf

I have a pair of the Stoic ones. I find it has to be very cold for me to use them because my fingers in the mitt part get too warm. Definitely gives you almost the dexterity of regular gloves and certainly more than enough for buckling/unbuckling boots.

wtcobb

I just got a pair of Outdoor Research this year with a liner. Dexterity is great not just for boots but zippers, facemasks, etc. you may need to adjust.

The liners are great because my hands sweat but I can easily remove and dry just the liner. Or on a day like Sunday, ski with just the liners and leave the full claws at home.

Puck it

Ok, that's what I thought you meant too, but my boots are kept pretty tight around my feet that I don't think the pole grips would do. Maybe unbuckling, but certainly buckling can't be done with the pole grips controlled remotely. What about the buckles above the ankles? I can't see how it can be done.

Bottoms only.

Warp Daddy

i have a pair of Spyder leather lobster gloves 3 finger in one side and the index finger has its own pocket . They are great in cold weather

mriceyman

i got marmot lobster mitts and they are fantastic. will get another pair next year when these are worn out

Edd

I'd suggest getting the most comfortable handwear you like with wrists straps so you don't lose them taking them off. Then remove them when you need to when you mess with the buckles. If you're going through the buckle inconvenience anyway its not much to add on for comfortable hands. Then, maybe work on trying not to mess with the buckles at all.

I wear full mittens now and I would never go back.

jrmagic

maybe you shoudl sonsider loosening your buckles a bit. Soudns like they are too tight. As for the gloves. I've always been warm enough with a good regular glove. I ahve a pair of Hestra's that I only break out when it dips below zero otherwise my hands sweat. I ahve a cheaper pair of gloves that I use on most days.

darent

received a pair of OR 3 finger gloves for christmas this year, will let you all know later how they work. I have always wore gloves but I am hoping the 3 finger jobbies work for those real cold days. I have a pair of gloves that have the zip on the back of the hand for a hand warmer that works great on real cold days, will see how the 3 finger compares

New Daddy

received a pair of OR 3 finger gloves for christmas this year, will let you all know later how they work. I have always wore gloves but I am hoping the 3 finger jobbies work for those real cold days. I have a pair of gloves that have the zip on the back of the hand for a hand warmer that works great on real cold days, will see how the 3 finger compares

Please do keep us posted. My alternative is gloves with a zip on the back, so I'd really like to hear your comparison too. Thanks!

Philpug

I use the Hestra Heli-Mitts as my regular glove. Mine are about 4 years old and are great in a multitude of temps. I like them more that a traditional mitten or glove.

crank

I have a pair of the pearl izumi lobster mitts like Nick's. They work great for mountain biking and that is all I have used them for.

darent

tried the OR 3 fingers today, not skiing but ice boating, temps were 12*, with a good steady wind the boat was hitting 35- 40 mph. sailed all afternoon and never had cold fingers, my face had a permanent frozen smile!! so I think they will be great for those really cold skiing days.