• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do lobster (3-finger) gloves really work?

New Daddy

tried the OR 3 fingers today, not skiing but ice boating, temps were 12*, with a good steady wind the boat was hitting 35- 40 mph. sailed all afternoon and never had cold fingers, my face had a permanent frozen smile!! so I think they will be great for those really cold skiing days.

Thanks for the report. Did you have a chance to compare them against a pair with zips on the back for hand warmers?

darent

Thanks for the report. Did you have a chance to compare them against a pair with zips on the back for hand warmers?

I found the three finger mitten warmer than the zip back glove. I had to put the heat pack against my skin to be effective in the glove, when I put it in the zip compartment my finger tips still got cold after awhile, not so with the 3-F mitten

Rich

+1 for the Hestra 3 Finger Heli Mitt. Much warmer than gloves and more dexterity than regular mitts. Having your index finger and thumb free makes it really easy to hold your poles, adjust your goggles, work zippers, etc. They also have removable liners, so you can get them really dry overnight.

wa-loaf

Going to be breaking mine out for AZ summit ... snowing, hopefully a foot plus and 10 degrees ...

wa-loaf

I saw you had them on, how did they work?

They worked great especially after I threw some hand warmers in them on Saturday ... not a big fan of the wool liners on the Stoics. They either wanted to come out when I took my hand out or tried to bunch up when I put it back in.

DonnaWalken

Website
www.hikesedona.com
I always thought they were funny looking. maybe because they remind me of an "alien hand signal" from a very very old tv show. But yeah, the Hestra 3 finger mitt heli is a very good one.

bvibert

Staff member
They worked great especially after I threw some hand warmers in them on Saturday ... not a big fan of the wool liners on the Stoics. They either wanted to come out when I took my hand out or tried to bunch up when I put it back in.

Sounds like a deal breaker to me. I need to be able to take my gloves on and off without worrying about the liner getting screwed up.

If you still needed to use hand warmers then I'll just stick with my regular gloves, which were just fine with hand warmers in the same conditions.

D-2.5-GT

I opted for the Black Diamond Mercury Mitt to replace some worn out gloves this year. I've been very happy with them. Super warm, dry, and comfy.

I originally was looking at several 3 finger variants from different companies since I've always been a glove guy and thought this was a good compromise. However, I ended up trying the BD mitts on at a local REI and was hooked. The ones in store were the wrong size, but i could tell right away they fit my hands nicely and ordered the correct size. While these are traditional mitts, the liner is 3 finger inside.

wa-loaf

If you still needed to use hand warmers then I'll just stick with my regular gloves, which were just fine with hand warmers in the same conditions.

Probably would have been fine without them, but the liner was kind of a pain. I'd look at other brands at any rate. I'm sure the Hestra's are top notch.

darent

My OR 3 finger worked great at the summit, they have a liner that is a regular thin glove which is nice if you have to adjust somthing, easy to pull out and put back in the mitt, also I used a heavier fleece liner glove and they were even warmer than the stock set up! real happy with the purchase