• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

"Forget Your Pants" Gene?

Cornhead

So, I packed up my gear at 5AM prior to leaving for work in anticipation of night skiing after work, either at Greek or Elk. I text my Son and he says he'll go to Elk with me. I start getting dressed at work, and lo and behold, no pants. No biggie, my house is on the way to Elk. I pick up my Son, tell him we have to stop at my house so I can throw on my pants. As we walk out his door I say, "Are you sure you have everything?", to which he replies, "Yes". So I stop at the house, throw on my pants, and off we go. I get to the hill, drop him of at the lodge and head up the hill to park. I change and ski down West Slope to the lodge where I'm met by my Son who says, "Don't buy me a lift ticket, I forgot my pants." Are you shitting me, I say, "How the hell could you forget your pants?" He had a good come back, since I had forgotten mine. I told him I would buy him a pair in the Elk shop. I looked around, and could buy a pair for $80. He didn't want to do it. He told me he would just hang out while I skied. I was willing to drive back to town to get his pants, we could have been on the hill by 7, they're open till 10, again he declined. I decided to just leave, so I now had to take the lift to the top of West Slope so I could ski down to my car. I was ready with my sob story for the liftie, but they never looked for a pass.As I rode the lift, I thought I should buy a pair of pants from the shop I want, make him wear them, and have another pair I could use, I didn't. So, I got one full run, in sections, of the West Slope, that was it. The snow was nice too, Elk got 5" the other night. I have no idea why you wouldn't just put your pants on at your house? It's only a 40 minute drive to Elk.On the bright side, I saved $56.

ScottySkis

So, I packed up my gear at 5AM prior to leaving for work in anticipation of night skiing after work, either at Greek or Elk. I text my Son and he says he'll go to Elk with me. I start getting dressed at work, and lo and behold, no pants. No biggie, my house is on the way to Elk. I pick up my Son, tell him we have to stop at my house so I can throw on my pants. As we walk out his door I say, "Are you sure you have everything?", to which he replies, "Yes". So I stop at the house, throw on my pants, and off we go. I get to the hill, drop him of at the lodge and head up the hill to park. I change and ski down West Slope to the lodge where I'm met by my Son who says, "Don't buy me a lift ticket, I forgot my pants." Are you shitting me, I say, "How the hell could you forget your pants?" He had a good come back, since I had forgotten mine. I told him I would buy him a pair in the Elk shop. I looked around, and could buy a pair for $80. He didn't want to do it. He told me he would just hang out while I skied. I was willing to drive back to town to get his pants, we could have been on the hill by 7, they're open till 10, again he declined. I decided to just leave, so I now had to take the lift to the top of West Slope so I could ski down to my car. I was ready with my sob story for the liftie, but they never looked for a pass.As I rode the lift, I thought I should buy a pair of pants from the shop I want, make him wear them, and have another pair I could use, I didn't. So, I got one full run, in sections, of the West Slope, that was it. The snow was nice too, Elk got 5" the other night. I have no idea why you wouldn't just put your pants on at your house? It's only a 40 minute drive to Elk.On the bright side, I saved $56.

Great story price from the mountain ski shop is cheap. You probably could have skiied the whole day with out buying a lift ticket, the time I went the whole day from 830 am my ticket expired at 1230pm but they didn't check the tickets to 4 pm, so that is when I stopped, great report you probably both never forget snowpants now.:)

pro2860

Lol...that's what kids are for! Heck, I was half way to Greek yesterday when I realized that my helmet, goggles, and gloves were still sitting on the couch. At least it's only a 10 minute drive!

Cornhead

Yeah, he's 22yrs old, just got a new Samsung mini tablet, basically a smart phone on steroids. I think he was more into playing with his new phone, than skiing with Dad. Maybe he subconscious mind forgot his pants. It reminded me of the time we spent 2 1/2 days at Stratton, and he spent most of the time in our room playing with his new Ipod. I couldn't be too upset, I forgot mine too.

pro2860

My daughter is also 22 and goes to SU. When she comes home for a weekend she almost always forgets something when she goes back and I have to drop it off a day or two later. That's not too inconvenient during the golf season because the club I work at is only 10 minutes from her apartment. Now that I'm laid off for the winter however...Not so convenient!

emmaurice2

The only times I've skied in jeans were the days I forgot my pants. A couple of weeks ago I packed only right-handed gloves so ended up skiing with one glove backward the whole morning...

Warp Daddy

Oh i forgot to add this corollary : that GRANDCHILDREN, are the rewards you get,For not killin yer own young while they are under your roof ;). :D

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Last year, the morning of the only big snowstorm we got all year, I was meeting up with a couple of friends to skin up Burke before the lifts opened. I got to the mountain and went to change into my boots. NO BOOTS! I drove home and got my boots and was back at the mountain within a half hour which was amazing considering the sketchy snow covered roads. :)

If my kids are anything like me I foresee days with forgotten poles, gloves, helmets, googles, and skis in my future :spin:

Cornhead

great story Cornhead !!!!
You know, it's shit like this that I enjoy about skiing as much as actually skiing itself, it's an adventure! Sure I'd have rather skied, but I got to spend a little time with my Son, a rarity these days. And I'll never forget the day we both forgot our pants! I hooked up with Jaytrem at Whiteface, he remembered me from sharing a chair at Sunday River two years ago, you just can't make this shit up! Mind boggling.

abc

I've forgotten just about everything, just at different times.

I always worry about the boots part. So I double and triple check that I have my boot bag (which also holds the rest: gloves, pants, goggle etc). But last year, for the first time ever, I forgot my skis!!! I mean, how can one forget the skis? It's big, it's obvious, and I have to fold down the back seat to get it in... Yep, I forgot it!!!

my favorite part--west slope, in sections...LOL

i have that gene...i've forgotten concert and ballgame tickets several times in my life...luckily nowadays that's not an issue since they can just use the credit card to re-issue them at the venue...i also once left my return ticket on the plane many years ago when i was coming home from college...dad was not too happy about that one

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Drove from our house in southern Vt. up 100 about 55 minutes or so to Killington one day. Opened my bag in the lodge and voila! No pants! Doh! I drove down the access road went to 2 shops found a pair of powder pants for $50. This was back in the SKI Ltd, days...

mriceyman

ya well over the christmas holiday i forgot to pack my wifes skis... talk about a DOH! moment... $75 later she had a rental pair... i was pretty bummed about it because she has nice skis and the rentals were trash... she was good about it tho... best part is i remembered both my pairs of skis and forgot hers...lesson learned to double check before a 4 hour drive

Cornhead

ya well over the christmas holiday i forgot to pack my wifes skis... talk about a DOH! moment... $75 later she had a rental pair... i was pretty bummed about it because she has nice skis and the rentals were trash... she was good about it tho... best part is i remembered both my pairs of skis and forgot hers...lesson learned to double check before a 4 hour drive
Sometimes checking can get you in trouble too, I was on my way to VT at 4AM, I stopped to put ice in my cooler, I had to take some stuff out of the trunk of the rental car to get the cooler in and out. I decided on the on ramp to the highway to check and make sure I didn't leave anything in the convenience store parking lot. I looked for the trunk release on the floor by the door, couldn't find one. I decided to use the key fob while it was in the ignition. I had the drivers door open, I heard a click and thought it was the trunk latch releasing, nope, doors locking. I thought about leaving the driver's door open, but it stuck out into the road. There I was, all four doors locked, flashers going, thunder storm approaching. I wasn't sure if it was appropriate to call 911, it really wasn't an emergency, you can't dial an operator anymore. I did call 911, an they dispatched a locksmith. He gets out a fat wire, and I said, "Jees, I got one of those at home." He gets it partially unlocked, then struggled to get it open. The sky broke right as he got done, I asked how much. He said $20, I think I shamed him into charging so little, I gave him $40. I was ready to break a window, and tell the rental place that it was broken into.

jimmywilson69

I forgot my jacket once when my son and I went to ski roundtop. It's only 10 miles from home, but I said lets see how many runs I could do until I couldn't take it any more. It was 21 degrees, and I skied 10 runs!

the following year I drove to Ski whitetail which is about 1.5 hours away. I get there and realize I forgot my jacket again! I couldn't believe it. It was just as cold so I went into the shop and they had hardly anything I would spend the money on. Finally I found a down Sherpa Adventure Gear vest for $80 and bit the bullet.

Yeah I now I double check that I have 2 boots, 2 gloves, 2 poles, jacket, helmet goggles.

jrmagic

With 90%+ of my skiing done at Magic its not even a thought as I keep all my gear in the condo year round which is less thn 50 yards from the black chair but I am extra vigilant if we are skiing somewhere else. Back in the 80s two buddies and I did a trip up to Stowe and when we got there I didn't have a coat. obviously I had to buy one as I would have frozen to death with just the turtleneck I wore on the drive up.

pro2860

I convert my trunk locker from golf to skiing and carry extra gloves, goggles, hand and toe warmers, and extra clothing for different degrees of layering. If I forget anything else I'm screwed though!

steamboat1

Forgot my boots at the house once or twice but luckily wasn't to far away. Twice I forgot my ski bag that carries gloves, goggles & hats. Once I was already in VT.(5 hrs from home) & had to buy everything new for my wife, daughter & myself. The other time I was an hour & a half away & drove back to get it.