• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do you use the safety bar when riding a chairlift?

Do you use the safety bar?

• Refuse to use the bar under all circumstances.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Conrad

Website
www.youtube.com
Just out of curiosity, do you use the safety bar on a chairlift whenever it is available?

Also, are there any chairlifts in New England or New York that don't have safety bars? I only know of one chairlift in the Northeast (at Mount Snow) that does not have a safety bar.

ok%20(26).JPG

For more on this lift: http://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/bdd/reportage-3647.html

Last edited:

mriceyman

only on sketchy lifts with height or serious vertical... but if anybody asks for the bar down i dont mind at all.

Smellytele

sometimes. If other people want to. if I am w/ my kids. Or sometimes if it has a foot rest that isn't too high and i want to rest my legs. In VT isn't it the law - not that it is ever enforced.

snowmonster

Unless the wind is blowing hard and the seat is swaying, I hardly ever use the bar but don't mind when people on the lift with me want to use it -- as long as they warn me that the bar is coming down. I don't even use the bar in VT (even if it is the law there). I will close the gate though on the MRG Single Chair. There's an ex-Vermonter on this board who always insists on using the bar -- to the confused looks of his fellow lift riders.

Last edited:

Puck it

As of 2-3 years ago, some of the lifts at Alta do have safety bars. However, the center pole doubles still do not have safety bars.
I was ther three years ago and Sugarloaf and Collins did not, Supreme is the that I am unsure of.

abc

There's probably an old thread about this every year... It's another of those "how much safety do we really need?" debate, though less heated than helmet debate.

I generally don't but there're a couple of exceptions: windy day, and when I'm sitting in the middle of a 6 pack. Although on the latter, one out of the other 5 typically would have wanted the bar down so I rarely have to request it.

Nor do I mind when others want the bar down.

ScottySkis

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

At Platty on slow double chair not so much on high speed chairs always.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I normally don't bother. That said, feet rests are nice sometimes to take the pressure off, and if other people are on the seat, I will usually put it down or let it go down when they do it. Solo though, with a standard bar, I usually just leave it up.

Cheese

State Law in VT to use it!!! Alta lifts do not have even have them.

Well duh, they don't allow snow boarders.

It doesn't bother me either way. I'll use it when others want it or not when they don't. Obviously with kids I put it down.

Incidentally, most of the dents in my helmet are from the safety bar. :dunce:

drjeff

I use it all the time (except for about 10 rides a weekend when my 7yr old son is lapping the beginner park at Mount Snow that is served by the Ski Baba double which is grandfathered in and doesn't have a safety bar (and even when there's no snow below is doesn't get much more than 5 feet off the ground for it's entire 2 minute ride) )

I'd be a bit of a hypocrit if what seems like 2 or 3 times a day when my kids ski by me on a trail below if they saw me on the lift riding bar up. Plus if some unforseen event happens while i'm on the lift (sudden stop/mechnical issue/big wind gust/etc) why not keep the bar down just incase that 0.0001% event happens?? I figure that I buckle my seat belt everytime I get in my car, so putting the safety bar down isn't that much of a difference in my book

conwayeast

Somtimes I pull the bar down when I' by myself just so I can lean on it. I also like have a nice arm rest sometimes. But 9/10 times I do not pull it down unless others ask for it.

boston_e

Usually I use the bar... but didn't vote because I don't get what riding with strangers has to do with using the bar or not.

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
I always use the bar. Never used to think it was a big deal, but after working on lifts for 4-5 years and knowing how quick an E-Stop can happen, I realized it is a big deal. Plus in VT, it's the law!

emmaurice2

I have an irrational fear of sliding off the seat when the bar isn't down. If there is no bar, I clutch the back and sides of the seat for dear life.

boston_e

I have an irrational fear of sliding off the seat when the bar isn't down. If there is no bar, I clutch the back and sides of the seat for dear life.

You must be used to riding the Snowdon Quad at Killington!