• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pain in ski socks from hair being pulled

BeefyBoy50

Whenever I wear long socks, ski socks especially, my ankles and shins are really in pain by the end of the day because the ski socks rip out my leg hairs. Does anybody have any kind of fix for this apart from shaving my lower legs? I would look a bit stupid like that but I've been thinking about it...

Bene288

I had the same exact problem, I thought I was the only one! I use my girlfriend's super expensive moisturizer when she's not looking and rub it on my ankles. I think any oily moisturizer would work. It keeps the hair matted down. I learned this from my uncle who puts a little Vaseline on his. I prefer the lotion as it does absorb into the skin eventually unlike Vaseline.

abc

I use my girlfriend's super expensive moisturizer when she's not looking and rub it on my ankles. I think any oily moisturizer would work.
Yes, I'm told oily moisturizer should work. Moisturizing unscreen is another source of such.

Cannonball

Very common problem. Peanut butter is the best remedy. Slather on approximately 1/4 cup per leg. Obviously creamy not chunky, and low salt if you can find it. If you find your still having some pain mix in a few tablespoons of clover honey.

Hawkshot99

Very common problem. Peanut butter is the best remedy. Slather on approximately 1/4 cup per leg. Obviously creamy not chunky, and low salt if you can find it. If you find your still having some pain mix in a few tablespoons of clover honey.

Before putting on the socks?

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

Hawkshot99

Before putting on the socks?

Also do I need to see my boot fitter for the slipperier legs or anything?

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

Edd

Calling BS on this. I've tried it twice. Total distaster and don't even get me started on the smell.

gottabelight

Calling BS on this. I've tried it twice. Total distaster and don't even get me started on the smell.

There is no way that rubbing peanut butter is the best solution. I'd go with vaseline or new socks. My smart wool socks don't do this to me.

Cornhead

Maybe you should have added some jelly, I like blackberry. How about laser treatment to remove the hair permanently, might look funny in the Summer with shorts on, but you'd never have to worry about it again.

Luckily I'm not a very hairy person, though I do have to shave my ears occasionally. Tell me God doesn't have a sense of humor. Let's get rid of that hair on top of your head, let's grow it on your ears, in your nose, on your back, etc. Getting old is just wonderful.

Bene288

PB on one leg, jelly on the other. Bring some bread with you and scrape your legs at lunch time. No need for expensive resort food.

bdfreetuna

I'm pretty hairy on the lower half especially. This has never been a problem except when I wear socks that are garbage.

It's worth throwing down for some $12 Smartwools or similar quality ski/hike socks.

Cornhead

PB on one leg, jelly on the other. Bring some bread with you and scrape your legs at lunch time. No need for expensive resort food.

Yummy, hairy pb and j's :puke: How about Fluffernutter?

My last day at IBM I brought in some Fluff, I substituted it for the white epoxy we used to screen the "legend" on the circuit boards, the numbers and letters that identify components on the boards. I walked around stirring it with a spatula in a pint paper cup. I'd sniff the cup and say, "This stuff doesn't smell bad, I wonder what it taste like?" Id then lick some off the spatula. A couple people staggered a little when I started chowing down on "epoxy". A guy with kids wasn't fooled, he recognized the smell.

ScottySkis

Yummy, hairy pb and j's :puke: How about Fluffernutter?

My last day at IBM I brought in some Fluff, I substituted it for the white epoxy we used to screen the "legend" on the circuit boards, the numbers and letters that identify components on the boards. I walked around stirring it with a spatula in a pint paper cup. I'd sniff the cup and say, "This stuff doesn't smell bad, I wonder what it taste like?" Id then lick some off the spatula. A couple people staggered a little when I started chowing down on "epoxy". A guy with kids wasn't fooled, he recognized the smell.
Sounds delicious, that can be lunch on next ski outing.

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
I wear Smartwool socks and this happens every season. I just wait until all of the hairs are ripped out and it's fine at that point. It's gotten to the point now where I have a smooth part on each shin until about June every year.

WWF-VT

Whenever I wear long socks, ski socks especially, my ankles and shins are really in pain by the end of the day because the ski socks rip out my leg hairs. Does anybody have any kind of fix for this apart from shaving my lower legs? I would look a bit stupid like that but I've been thinking about it...

I suggest you give up skiing as a winter sport...maybe try curling as an alternative