• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe - January 26-27

Cheese

Date(s) Skied:01.26.2013 - 01.27.2013
Resort or Ski Area: Stowe
Conditions: Machine Groomed
Trip Report:

Stowe basically consists of machined groomed on beginner and intermediate terrain and ungroomed expert terrain. The exception to that would be Hayride (expert) which was groomed both Saturday and Sunday. If you rip Hayride be cautious of the rollers on skiers right as at least one of them has thin cover below the lip. Easy to air over it but certainly a surprise the first time down. The groom on the blues easily held till 1-2pm and after that it was either search for the snow at the sides or practice setting an edge in the base layer.

Expert terrain was a little different. Skiers left of Liftline had soft windblown snow on the face and troughs of the bumps but the back sides were solid. Quite good skiing considering they haven't seen substantial snow in quite some time and they're still dealing with refreeze conditions from the January thaw. National skied the same skiers left but the first three turns from the top were firm and required some deceleration planning. The best skiing was on Starr but it was roped at the top. Luckily there is a second entrance from National which wasn't roped. Once through the cut Starr yielded partially tracked 4" of wind pack snow that was soft with very minor bumps. At the junction of Starr and Lookout I took the traverse back to Liftline to avoid lower Starr which appeared fairly boney.

I ventured into the woods maybe twice but there wasn't enough fresh snow in there to risk a core shot so I exited both times fairly disappointed.

Good skiing at Stowe but like everywhere else there won't be great skiing without another good dump.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I'm getting very anxious for more snow. We have some coming today / tonight - in particular areas of VT look to pick up 6"+, which would be nice. But I'm ready for another big one!