• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Keurig and K-cups Tirade

Scruffy

Originally Posted by Scruffy
Correct me if I'm wrong; but aren't these pod coffee makers an environmental nightmare? I'm thinking of the over packaging here. Each cup joe needs it's own plastic and foil package, its crazy.

And global warming!

No, I didn't say anything about GW, now don't be dragging that into the discussion. Something can have a negative impact on the environment, and discussed as such without being directly linked into the GW debate.

Maybe you work for Waste Management and have positions in oil futures, in that case drink up.

Puck it

No, I didn't say anything about GW, now don't be dragging that into the discussion. Something can have a negative impact on the environment, and discussed as such without being directly linked into the GW debate.

Maybe you work for Waste Management and have positions in oil futures, in that case drink up.

Lighten up, Francis. Coffee does not cause GW. It causes cancer!!!!!

Puck it

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/green-living-blog/2010/jun/17/carbon-footprint-of-tea-coffee

Apparently, if you drink all teh coffee you make, it really does come down to just the plastic packaging. And whether you use milk.

Me, I prefer to use milk from particularly farty cows.

this is funny!!!

[h=2]The carbon footprint of cycling a mile:
65g CO2e: powered by bananas
90g CO2e: powered by cereals with milk
200g CO2e: powered by bacon
260g CO2e: powered by cheeseburgers
2800g CO2e: powered by air-freighted asparagus[/h]

Mullen

I'm with the op on this one! Can't stand that fing thing. Not only is it wasteful but it can't even get the size of the cup right most of the time.

French press and some dank dark roast all the way.

Geoff

I switched to green tea. I only drink coffee when I'm staying in hotels. I think Keurig one hitters make lousy coffee. When I make it at home, I prefer using a French press but even a drip coffee maker is way better than a K Cup.

I can't remember the last time I had coffee from an old school percolator. I grew up in a Melita filter house and never owned a percolator myself.

dmc

But Geoff - you gotta run into Kuerigs at customer sites...

I'm like you... i don't like the coffee from those things... But i DO like the tea...

Scruffy

I have my big electric for parties and and small camp percolator...
Love my coffee with bits of stuff in it... :) Cowboy style...

or camp style: put ground coffee in same pot with water, boil, when done throw in a raw egg and let sit. The albumen from the egg solidifies around the grinds and keeps em lumped at the bottom, just pour off the java.

darent

wifes keurig turned into a ant farm last spring,glad I don't drink coffee, wonder how many cups she drank before she noticed the think was full of ants- threw the thing out in the yard and sprayed it down and then it went to the dump.

gmcunni

the love of Keurig is fading fast in our house.

when our original K maker died they had just introduced the new VUE model. believing it was the future direction (new features, recyclable cups) we bought that model to replace the older one. new cup style - the V cup. at first the selection was poor but quickly more and more coffees became available. what never materialized were the V cup TEA options my wife likes (she doesn't drink coffee). after repeated notes to K customer support were led to believe they were ramping up and tea selection would improve... it didn't.

now we find that the whole V cup line is EOL... rumor has it they introduced V cups quickly to try and thwart competitors knockoff K cups... now they are back to K cups and V cup selection is fading, can't find the coffee we've been buying for the last year and i'm sure the supply will dry up completely in the next few months.

our Vue maker is working perfectly- really not happy about having to pony up $$$$$ to replace a perfectly good brewer. customer support seems unconcerned with our plight.

wa-loaf

the love of Keurig is fading fast in our house.

when our original K maker died they had just introduced the new VUE model. believing it was the future direction (new features, recyclable cups) we bought that model to replace the older one. new cup style - the V cup. at first the selection was poor but quickly more and more coffees became available. what never materialized were the V cup TEA options my wife likes (she doesn't drink coffee). after repeated notes to K customer support were led to believe they were ramping up and tea selection would improve... it didn't.

now we find that the whole V cup line is EOL... rumor has it they introduced V cups quickly to try and thwart competitors knockoff K cups... now they are back to K cups and V cup selection is fading, can't find the coffee we've been buying for the last year and i'm sure the supply will dry up completely in the next few months.

our Vue maker is working perfectly- really not happy about having to pony up $$$$$ to replace a perfectly good brewer. customer support seems unconcerned with our plight.

The price of being first in on new technology. Sometimes it fails. Betamax users, Apple Newton, HD DVD, Keurig V Cup ... lol

Sorry for your loss.

Bumpsis

Coffee from whole beans - I love the smell of fresh ground beans. My wife is the coffee drinker in the family. I often will make it for her - either french press (Bodum) or cone filtered. Very aromatic. I'll have it from time to time, switched to tea a good while back.
We have the one of these one shot (not Keurig) machines in the office (work), where it makes sense (choice, fresh taste), but it does create a lot of trash. Would not have it for home use.