• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Keurig and K-cups Tirade

hammer

Bought a Keurig a few months ago, it went back to the store a week after we bought it. Coffee was too weak. Bought another dual-use machine (pot and individual) that takes the K cups and it does a better job, although it doesn't heat up the water that fast.

We have a commercial model Keurig at work that is actually pretty decent so the only guess on the Keurig we bought for home use is that it didn't heat the water up well enough.

dlague

Bought a Keurig a few months ago, it went back to the store a week after we bought it. Coffee was too weak. Bought another dual-use machine (pot and individual) that takes the K cups and it does a better job, although it doesn't heat up the water that fast.

We have a commercial model Keurig at work that is actually pretty decent so the only guess on the Keurig we bought for home use is that it didn't heat the water up well enough.

We have a Keurig - wife wanted it! On large cup it is too weak, I do two small cups to make it stronger. The problem, however, my morning coffee now cost me three times as much as it did before if not more. Technology and convenience - gotta love it!

deadheadskier

Staff member
:lol:

I refuse to get a Keurig because of cost. My morning cup of Joe just doesn't matter that much to me. I drink the 1985 Salomon Rear Entry boots of coffee still and I'm fine with it. :lol:

o3jeff

:lol:

I refuse to get a Keurig because of cost. My morning cup of Joe just doesn't matter that much to me. I drink the 1985 Salomon Rear Entry boots of coffee still and I'm fine with it. :lol:

Exactly my reason for not getting one, the cost and I'm fine with cheap coffee!

ctenidae

Cheap coffee + French Press, who could ask for anything more?

After about 5 years, it looks like we have to replace our Bunn. Seems to be losing 2-4 ounces of water from the tank over night, which is confusing to me. It does keep a tank of water hot at all times, so maybe not efficient from a power perspective, and I suppose evaporation could do that at brewing temperatures. Didn't lose that much water before, that I noticed, though. It is either 5 or 7 years old, which is probably the life expectancy of a coffee maker.

jimk

Caffeine sensitive, drink tea and colas for lower dosage. Only drink real coffee once or twice a year when seriously sleep deprived. Like the flavor of decaf and drink it once or twice a month when it comes my way free at meetings or social events. Feel somewhat liberated from the coffee wars.

snoseek

Quality coffee and drip on a timer so It's ready to go as I wake up. I don't understand paying more for mediocre weak coffee. Marketing is amazing.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Given my prior career, I tend to be a food & beverage snob and spend way more than I should at grocery & liquor stores. Coffee is the one category I simply don't care for high quality; I legitimately don't like the taste. Probably because I drink coffee with cream and sugar. I hardly have a sweet tooth at all except for drinking coffee. I've tried getting into drinking black coffee because I know its better for you, but just don't like it.

gmcunni

I hardly have a sweet tooth at all except for drinking coffee. I've tried getting into drinking black coffee because I know its better for you, but just don't like it.

over the years i've gone from cream and sugar to black. i still will get cream when i get coffee at DD or a few other places that don't have great flavor. but at home, with the Keurig and my choice of coffee (usually a bold or dark roast) i just drink it black

Glenn

We went back to the regular coffee making after a couple of years with the k cups. K cups are super easy, but also expensive when compared to what you can get regular ground coffee for. The slightly extra time it takes to make the coffee and clean the cofee maker is well worth the dollar savings.

SkiFanE

Pods were invented by Al Gore and it's been reported that Scotty came out of one.. Therefore, Al Gore is Scotty's mom, or dad, not sure which.

:) I love running across his posts.

Percolator here. I'm pretty frugal and kuerig would cause me to hand in my card.

We buy huge can of Kirkland colombian fine grind dark roast coffee at Costco. $10 or so for 3lbs of delish dark pots of coffee. Probably 5 cents a cup. Percy brew at a hotter temp, different flavor.

Terry

:) I love running across his posts.

Percolator here. I'm pretty frugal and kuerig would cause me to hand in my card.

We buy huge can of Kirkland colombian fine grind dark roast coffee at Costco. $10 or so for 3lbs of delish dark pots of coffee. Probably 5 cents a cup. Percy brew at a hotter temp, different flavor.
I'm with you girl. We are to cheap to deal with the kurerig. We brew with a drip coffee maker and make a whole pot every morning.