• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who drives the farthest/longest to ski every weekend?

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
NJ to Killington.com just about every weekend. 4.5 hours
I hate to break it to you, but you don't have to drive all the way to VT to get to killington.com.:daffy:

Know what you mean, but it's just not the same from home.

LOL, that was posted from my phone, guess he spell checker kicked in, or my brain turned off, not sure which.

WWF-VT

It's about 200 miles and 3 to 3.5 hours from home in MA to Sugarbush every weekend. I know a few others that make the 4-5 hour trek from CT and NY on a regular basis.

Riverskier

1.25 hours each way to Sunday River most weekends. Occasionally an hour flat to Mt Abram, or 2.25 to Saddleback or Sugarloaf. I hate that extra hour though, especially on the way back.

Huck_It_Baby

Back in the day when I was 20ish and living in Boston I day-tripped to Jay from Boston. 5 hrs each way. Found out late that some good friends were there and somehow talked myself into driving up for Sunday to ski with them. Got up at 3Am. Made it there as the lifts started spinning. Skied my a$$ off all day. Had a beer with my friends at the end of the day and headed out. Rolled back into Boston at about 11PM. Completely exhausted for the last 2+hrs of the ride. Had to drive with my head out the window from about Warner, NH all the way to Boston. Crawled into bed as soon as I rolled in.

10+hrs of driving for 7 hrs of skiing.

I felt like the old guy from "Longest Yard"; ". . .was it worth it? Yah, for me it was".

That's awesome! Way to get after it!

AdironRider

I had a long day like that during the VDAY storm in 07. Left SLU at 4am, made it to the Face by 10 (normally a 1.5 hour drive), skied with just the patrollers all day. Left at 4 and didnt make it back to SLU till after midnight. Needless to say the GF was pissed I missed all of Valentines day.

Coolest part was around Paul Smiths a plow flagged me down and told me Id never make it to Potsdam. Knowing I couldnt spend the night in the car without certain death he turned around and had me follow him there. Two of us made it in about 4 hours for that 60 mile stretch. Bought him a case of Molson at Stewarts and he went on his way. Never caught his name but it was awesome.

SKIQUATTRO

LI to K every weekend from mid Dec to end of Mar/early april.. 285 miles (4.5hrs if all goes well) Leave Fri nites at 7pm

RUPedro

About 4 hours each way pretty much every weekend. Easiest without the dog.

RUPedro

Some dogs like cars, others do not. My first dog many years ago got sick all of the time and hated the car. The dog I have now loves the car, but it is just sometimes a hassle since I may need to stop and let her go to the bathroom or walk as she is 12 years old and just gets a little stiff sitting in there for so long. It is cold in Maine in winter and those walks can be frigid after sitting in a nice warm Jeep.

As I am sure many of you have figured out, any time you add a person or dog to your trip, you need to add time for each one. I can make my trip solo pretty easy in 3 and 1/2 hours. But if I add the dog, and other people, it automatically goes up to 3:45 to 4:15. If bad traffic or weather, it gets worse.