• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who drives the farthest/longest to ski every weekend?

St. Jerry

So my wife was complaining about how long it takes to get to Gore from NYC (nearly) every weekend. With no stops or traffic it's about 3:45. Throw in stops and traffic and it can be up to 6 hours. I told her that a lot of people spend more time than we do to get to skiing every weekend and of course she didn't believe me. :roll:

So, who does the longest skiing commute every weekend?

Cornhead

I'm willing to travel far to ski, but not every weekend. I will be traveling 530 miles to attend the AZ Summit. My local mole hill is 40 miles from home, my usual weekend haunt.

frapcap

My pass is at Sugarbush. So from Providence, RI its 4 hours give or take 15 minutes. If there is a storm and we leave too late and get stuck with poor road conditions, its more like 4.5-5 hours.
Typically we stay all weekend, but schedules haven't allowed that yet this year so its been nothing but day trips.

4:30am wake up, hit the road, at the mountain around 8:30. Ski all day (usually with no breaks, no sense in taking a break when you put so much effort into getting there), leave around 4:30, home around or a little before 9. Its a looooooong day.

hammer

NJ to Killington.com just about every weekend. 4.5 hours
Do you stay overnight or is that one way for a day trip?
We follow the ski as long as drive rule, which means that unless we want the dogs to be cooped up for 10-12 hours day trips really can't involve more than about a 2 hour drive. I'd be willing to stretch up to 2.5 hours but that's the upper limit. Any more than that and we'd want to do an overnight.

Smellytele

Do you stay overnight or is that one way for a day trip?
We follow the ski as long as drive rule, which means that unless we want the dogs to be cooped up for 10-12 hours day trips really can't involve more than about a 2 hour drive. I'd be willing to stretch up to 2.5 hours but that's the upper limit. Any more than that and we'd want to do an overnight.

+1

Bene288

I typically travel 1.5 hours to Gore from Albany. Same for the Catskills and Southern VT, but don't have a problem going 3-4 hours on a day trip to get to some good snow. I can also get to Jiminy in 45 minutes.

My fiancé doesn't complain so much about the time it takes to get there, but she isn't happy to wake up at 4:30 - 5:00am. My truck is a gas guzzler, so we take her Jeep on the longer trips, that's the biggest complaint I get from her.

BenedictGomez

I wish I had the "problem" of drive time "every" weekend that some of you poor, unfortunate souls face. :-o

I probably do 3 or 4 northern Vermont trips each season (6 to 6.5hours), the last few years a Whiteface trip (5 hours), and a bunch of Platty trips (2:45 to 3 hours). So it's ALWAYS a LONG drive when I go skiing. :angry: I can be in the Poconos in < 1 hour and do a few Pocono day-trips when I cant get away for a few days, but the truth is the Poconos kindof blow .

HD333

Just about every Friday night 2 hrs to the house. Then 25 minutes to and from the the hill Sat and Sunday. Then 2 hrs home every Sunday.

So 2 days of skiing = alomost 6 hrs in the car. If it is warm we wil lkeep the dog in the car on Sunday and that cuts off about 45 minutes.

Gotta get closer to the hill, but the price is right so I can't complain, well I can't complain too much.