• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tips for Skiing Tight Lines

skiNEwhere

Does highway star show up to AZ summits? I want to see some of his alleged K steeze.

If not, he needs to and put his money where his mouth is.

Cheese

I think it's more about bleeding off speed rather than controlling it in tight lines.

Agreed. Bleeding speed in a chute gets pretty risky though. The reason we drop into the chute is because there's a fresh dump. After a fresh dump is when there's increased concern about how much weight the snow can support. Rules like, "don't finish the turn", "don't stop abruptly", "don't cut a horizontal line" and "don't stop in groups" typically come in to play in such locations so bleeding speed has to be done with caution.

KevinF

This is a great thread!

One thing that hasn't been addressed head on is speed control! Take a trail like "awe chute" at winter park. The chute is so narrow that you can't pivot slip perpendicular to the fall-line, unless you have like 110 cm ski's. How do you control speed there?

I'm not familiar with that chute, but a friend of mine was skiing in the Alps once and was following his guide down some chute. The guide stopped and said "so, this chute keeps getting narrower... keep turning until you can't turn anymore. Then sideslip down until it's too narrow to sideslip. Then go straight. It opens into a big bowl".

I don't know how long the "go straight" section was, but the idea of straightlining a chute that's too narrow to even think about turning pegs my :blink: meter.

KevinF

So I looked up the Awe Chute on YouTube:

It doesn't look anything close to narrow to me (at least the line that guy took sure isn't). I'm sure there are some stupid tight lines in the trees below, but I don't consider "tree skiing" to be "chutes".

MadMadWorld

Does highway star show up to AZ summits? I want to see some of his alleged K steeze.

If not, he needs to and put his money where his mouth is.

If that were the case, they would set new records for attendance.

I'm not familiar with that chute, but a friend of mine was skiing in the Alps once and was following his guide down some chute. The guide stopped and said "so, this chute keeps getting narrower... keep turning until you can't turn anymore. Then sideslip down until it's too narrow to sideslip. Then go straight. It opens into a big bowl".

I don't know how long the "go straight" section was, but the idea of straightlining a chute that's too narrow to even think about turning pegs my :blink: meter.

This is what "tripped" me up and was my original motivation for this thread. It was exactly as you described and I don't think the pictures do it justice. Not being able to turn at all on a steep couloir with rocks on either side of you is a hard fear to overcome. I definitely froze up.

bded91048c8b3dfbe9924b05c11f794f_600x564.jpg

1sunshineWildWest3.jpg

It doesn't look anything close to narrow to me (at least the line that guy took sure isn't). I'm sure there are some stupid tight lines in the trees below, but I don't consider "tree skiing" to be "chutes".

I generally don't either but there can sometimes be ravines/gullies in trees that I would consider a chute.

Cheese

Agreed, that is not what I'd call a chute. Plenty of room to turn and plenty of lumps and bumps to help control speed. When you do it, make sure you hit that lil' 10 footer on the right at 1:00.

View attachment 11754

First one through got the powder. Everyone else is hitting the brakes right before the couloir as evident by the ski tip marks on the left hand wall. Once stopped there, it's a gentle left turn through and then a decelerating traverse right out to the evergreen that's in view. Granted I'm sure the camera flattened this out and it's far steeper than it looks but I think I'd ski it the same regardless.

Last edited:

MadMadWorld

Agreed, that is not what I'd call a chute. Plenty of room to turn and plenty of lumps and bumps to help control speed. When you do it, make sure you hit that lil' 10 footer on the right at 1:00.

View attachment 11754

First one through got the powder. Everyone else is hitting the brakes right before the couloir as evident by the ski tip marks on the left hand wall. Once stopped there, it's a gentle left turn through and hit the brakes on the other side.

Actually it's hard to see but the rock juts out slightly but not by much. It's a little further down that it opens up. I'll be the first to admit that I got psyched out though.

skiNEwhere

I watched that video and that trail looked completely different from when I skied it. Then I realized, judging by the post date, that that video was during the 10/11 season which WP got almost 400 inches. The first time I skied that was during 11/12, which was about half the amount of snow from the year before. Like most chutes, the leaner the snow year, the rockier they are. Even this year they didn't look that filled it. The issue was that the bowl shape of the snow made it so that if you tried to turn perpendicular, if you didn't hit the rocks, only the very tips of your ski would dig into the snow due to the shape.

56fish

Website
www.borderskirental.com
I've never skied, I snowboard exclusively, but I'd guess that practicing really tight lines on moguls would be a good way to practice tree and chute skiing. Try to keep your speed up and carve up every bump. I do this on my snowboard sometimes to get better at picking good lines through tight glades.
+1 very rarely do I find bump-less tight trees