waterproofing pants - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    This is the stuff I have

Obenauf_s_Water_Shield_Spray.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Goretext even whent he fabric gets that wet look doesn't (isn't supposed to) permeate through to below. There is a "middle layer" even on very thing shells of the actual goretex fabric.

They didn't get wet from water going into / under somehow, (vs. through) the fabric?

I've always had good luck with goretex so far. No coating necessary, just wash it ever couple months.
    what we fiqured out was that the atlantis goretex stuff was soaking through because of being hit by waves, my columbia was urathane coated and didn't breath and wasn't penetrated by the blast of water. This happened when goretex was first on the scene so I am sure things are different.I wore my goretex ski jacket to the patriots game with SF and it rained the whole game and I stayed dry, but I wasn't getting hit with sheets of water!

Quote Originally Posted by darent View Post
    what we fiqured out was that the atlantis goretex stuff was soaking through because of being hit by waves, my columbia was urathane coated and didn't breath and wasn't penetrated by the blast of water. This happened when goretex was first on the scene so I am sure things are different.I wore my goretex ski jacket to the patriots game with SF and it rained the whole game and I stayed dry, but I wasn't getting hit with sheets of water!
    Overall, I like Gortex but I found that the waterpoofing/ water repelling coating is crucial to how well the garment will perform. When the water repellent coating wears out, the Gortex membrane all by itself is not going to be all that effective. I had a pair of ski pants with Goretex membrane and just a few rides on a wet lift chairs was clearly felt on the inside. The pants lost their repellency quite some time ago and I never did restored through one of those sprays or washers.
    The same held true for a jacket. Once the coating wore off and the rain stopped beading up, there was definite moisture penetration. On the other hand, the breathebilty aspect of Gortex is also something that one needs to question, regardless of what it does to stop rain from getting through. Hiking in wet weather always got me fairly wet on the inside when wearing Gortex jacket. For static activity like downhill ski, well coated garmnet and the Gortex membrane is a good combination for controlling wetness. For more aerobic activity, I really don't know of anything that will keep you dry.
    Live for today

bump...

previously used NIKWAX TX DIRECT SPRAY ON WATERPROOFING with good success but it has been a few years, anyone find anything better for helping keep ski cloths water repellent after washing?
    shit happens, wear a helmet.

2017/18
    Breck - 12/22 1/6 1/7 2/3 2/10 2/25 3/3 3/17 3/25
    Keystone - 12/26 3/30
    Beaver Creek - 1/20 3/26
    Vail - 3/27

Quote Originally Posted by gmcunni View Post
    bump...

previously used NIKWAX TX DIRECT SPRAY ON WATERPROOFING with good success but it has been a few years, anyone find anything better for helping keep ski cloths water repellent after washing?
    I've tried Toko's product, but went back to the Nikwax - in my book, that's the standard to which all others to date aspire too

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '07-'18 seasons: 567 Days

Thread Information