• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

X-Games Snowmobiler Caleb Moore Dies after Crash

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I don't know if someone had posted the video earlier, but a sobering X-games hit:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/31/us/x-games-moore-death/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

(CNN) -- Snowmobiler Caleb Moore died Thursday, a week after a crash that has raised new safety concerns about the X Games. He was 25 years old."He will be truly missed and never forgotten," his family said in a statement.
"The family wishes to express their deep gratitude for all the prayers and support they have received from all the fans, friends and family around the world that Caleb has inspired. ... Arrangements for a celebration of life are being made and an announcement will be made in the coming days."
Moore, a freestyle snowmobiler, was attempting a backflip at the Winter X Games in Aspen, Colorado, when he couldn't rotate his machine enough to land properly. The skis dug into the lip of the slope, bringing the 450-pound snowmobile crashing down on him. The vehicle slammed into Moore's head and chest.

mriceyman

way dangerous sport. terrible story and you gota feel for the family this week. one son dies and the other with a broken pelvis. thats tough to take.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Sad

Unfortunately, such deaths will probably only become all more common as we continue to push the boundaries of what is possible in sport. The level these athletes are competing at these days is on one hand breathtaking and inspiring, but another hand frightening and one might say reckless.

RIP Caleb

legalskier

I was watching it on ESPN at the time. Another rider, Daniel Bodine, crashed just before in the same manner (front skis getting stuck in the snow) but he was ok. I couldn't believe Caleb got up and walked away from it. Really sad.

Posted the vid last week on the youtube gems thread.....

JimG.

Staff member
I don't want to get into a discussion of recklessness here...it's all a personal choice.

But I find it irritating when the word safety is mentioned. Pushing the limits in this fashion precludes any semblance of safety.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't want to get into a discussion of recklessness here...it's all a personal choice.

But I find it irritating when the word safety is mentioned. Pushing the limits in this fashion precludes any semblance of safety.

yup and it appears Caleb was well aware.

Caleb has had his share of snowmobile and ATV accidents in the past. He told the New York Times the day of the crash that among his injuries were a broken ankle, pelvis, back, tailbone, collarbone, and wrist, along with 10 concussions.

"You try not to get hurt," he told the Times, "but in this sport it's kind of the price you pay for not having to work 9 to 5."

On the issue of the ten concussions; because these athletes typically compete as independently sponsored, I wonder what kind of protocols there are regarding head injuries and returning to competition. Unlike professional sports team participation, I doubt there are any for these athletes.