• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hope?

BenedictGomez

The EURO and UKMET are showing a pretty decent snowstorm for Friday into Saturday (but it's not there on the GFS or Canuck models). Hopefully the across-the-pond models verify instead of their NA competition.

bdfreetuna

Rivercoil hit it right on the head. Last year we never got down to zero base at this point in the year. We are hovering at zero base in the woods in much of New England right now (some places further north still have a foot in the woods but they want to preserve it like they're holding on to a purse of f*cking diamonds and nobody can ski it until they get more snow).

Problem is the weather outlook for the next several weeks sucks. More of the same shit.

I will ski in the woods with 3 inches of snow in the spring and I will purposefully ski at the places that won't kick me out or give me crap for doing so. And it's starting to look like that's going to be the plan this year.

Gotta give the ski areas credit they really ramped it up with snowmaking this year. But you just can't get by on one or two decent storms in a season followed by summer in January and spring in February.

I'm kinda pissed right now..

bdfreetuna

The EURO and UKMET are showing a pretty decent snowstorm for Friday into Saturday (but it's not there on the GFS or Canuck models). Hopefully the across-the-pond models verify instead of their NA competition.

Yeah I saw those graphics come up too (I'm sure the same FB weather people you are speaking of). Earlier in the season these folks were right on the money with the snowfall when and wheres. Lately I feel like they realize their entire fanbase is skiers and have been trying to cater to what skiers want to see.

That said I hope we get 5 feet of snow over the next two weeks.

bdfreetuna

My plan in the future... if and when we get snow: Ski like there is no tomorrow.

This would involve actually saving more than a few paychecks at a time. But I can work on that. First week of January this year, for example, under my new plan, I would have skied all week.

As it were, I only skied 7 times in 11 days time span. Okay, that was pretty good.

But dammit, I thought there would be more to come!!

BenedictGomez

Yeah I saw those graphics come up too (I'm sure the same FB weather people you are speaking of). Earlier in the season these folks were right on the money with the snowfall when and wheres. Lately I feel like they realize their entire fanbase is skiers and have been trying to cater to what skiers want to see.

That said I hope we get 5 feet of snow over the next two weeks.

These are actual meteorological models, not pictures created by people on Facebook.

And the American model (GFS) that just came out just went from beautiful clear day, to hammering snowstorm (i.e. it now agrees with the Brit and EU models). Canadian model isnt out yet, but we're now at 3/4 models agreeing on a snowstorm for Friday night.

The Rain/Snow line is currently in north Jersey, which means Poconos will (as usual) likely get screwed if that doesnt move south. And sadly, this is tracking east at the moment, so ME, NH, VT, DAX/CATS is the order of who will get the most goods if it verifies.

catsup948

I hope this storm takes a strong left hook and slams western maine with feet of snow friday night! HAHA! This winter really hasn't been all that bad except for the two thaws we had in January. January is not on average a snowy month for most of New England. December, February and some places March average more snow than January. The next 14 days seem active so I say bring it!

bdfreetuna

These are actual meteorological models, not pictures created by people on Facebook.

And the American model (GFS) that just came out just went from beautiful clear day, to hammering snowstorm (i.e. it now agrees with the Brit and EU models). Canadian model isnt out yet, but we're now at 3/4 models agreeing on a snowstorm for Friday night.

Don't be a wise ass I'm talking about the models New England Weather Works is posting :p

Things are looking up though!

BenedictGomez

Don't be a wise ass I'm talking about the models New England Weather Works is posting :p

Things are looking up though!

I'm not being a wise ass; none of these people have proprietary content, it's all derived from the GSF, UKMET, Euro, Canadian and JMA (if they actually look at that one). So if you follow 8, 10, 12 mets or amateur mets on Facebook or Twitter etc.. they're all going to post pretty similar things at the exact same time, and there are many of them. Similarly, you can do the same work yourself if you're so inclined.