• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf - 2/3/13

BackLoafRiver

Date(s) Skied: 2/3/13

Resort or Ski Area: Sugarloaf

Conditions: Frozen Granular, Hardpack, manmade, etc.

Trip Report:

I figure a little "Pre-Summit" stoke is due. Conrad did a fairly good job summing up the conditions so I figure the pics can speak for themselves.

The "upside - downside - upside" on the latest weather:

Upside - Sugarloaf snowmakers are killing it. They turned what should have been a total mess into something still fun and salvageable. AND, the coverage is better than last years summit.

Downside - Unless we get some good luck from mother nature, everything natural will be out for this coming weekend. (save MAAAAAYBE Ripsaw and Double Bitter but I wouldn't venture down there. They were off today)

Upside - See above. And, the Bag will be open.

They flattened Skidder save three massive kickers. Hayburner was fantastic today. The new guns put out some real nice stuff and it held all day. Scoot formed some nice soft bumps as they wrapped up snowmaking around 1 and let everyone just push it around. The manmade stuff "almost" felt like powder. Timberline was tragic. Bulletproof and bare in some spots. Nothing else from the summit was open. Upper tote looks like they are trying to get it back in play. Haulback was surprisingly nice.

Overall, great day. Very surprised that it was skiing as good as it was. Here's what I have for you:

Riding up timberline

IMG_0318_zps28b0d5a5.jpg

Looking up Timberline

IMG_0320_zps17e823a6.jpg

And down

IMG_0321_zpsbe0af52d.jpg

IMG_0322_zps65264579.jpg

Looking down from just past Skyline

IMG_0324_zps5b9623da.jpg

Scoot 1

IMG_0328_zps24bc3a36.jpg

Scoot 2

IMG_0329_zps5dd304b4.jpg

Skimaine

Made some turns with BLR and concur with his observations. The recovery will continue and conditions will continue to improve. The woods and natural trails are locked-up and will need a slug of natural snow to get them up. There is alone hope later in the week.

Sounds like I missed some fun on Scoot. You deserved it after suffering through Timberline. As noted, the trails off of S-Quad and Skyline are skiing great. King Pine, Timberline and Whiffletree need some more snowmaking and grooming love. They should be ready for the summit.

BoarderPatrol

Thanks for the TR. With a little help from mother nature, the BAG will be opened:).....not sure what the models are saying for snowfall however hope this is the year we dumped on.