• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Waterville 2/3

mlkrgr

Decided to go up to Waterville and meet a couple people from some skiing/outdoor adventure groups Meetup.com. I decided to cash in a voucher even though the window rate was $45 in honor of Superbowl Sunday. Looks like they were selling a reasonable amount of day tickets. Sunnyside triple was on maintenance hold all day, which made the lines at the quad very long and overflowing out of the corral at times 10 am til lunch. Everything to the right of the quad was very icy and everything to the left of the quad was skiing OK with a tolerable amount of ice. With the Sunnyside triple being down, there wasn't much choice than to wait it out at the quad, which made Butch (liftie that always does crowd control at the quad) quite busy for a few hours. Props to him as it is very rare to see a chair go up with less than 4 people in it when he is in charge. Crowds then got very reasonable after lunch as the lift lines by then did not exceed 5 minutes, and the mountain was pretty much dead after 2:30. ROTD was skier's left of True Grit which skied pretty well although the center and right were icier. High country was also skiing a bit rough.

The mountain needs a snowstorm; I overheard a liftie saying that they already blew through their snowmaking budget and so the guns will be shut off for a bit. However, they had to be concentrating the snowmaking in areas with the recent thaw and refreeze

Looking forward to go up to Waterville again for the Snowcial BSSC is running up there next Sunday.

Last edited:

JSHSKI

Mee too

Good report. I was there and agree with all that you said. I was expecting a full on recovery effort to get ready for the upcoming busy Feb vacation weeks. I guess if the funds are gone they can't spend what they don't have. For me the ROTD was the right side of Ciao. The right 6-8 feet had nice loose granular that could almost be called powder. They have a very solid ice base across the whole mountain. Not an easy surface to get new snow to stick to. I hope the next storm is a doozey.