• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

So nice; no lines anywhere @ K-ton 2/3/2013

Sum1

Parked at Skyeship Gondola at bottom of Great Eastern -- nice, no
crowds, easy parking, walk a hundred feet and jump a gondola, i like
it.

Due to Sunday Superbowl fever, there were No/None/Zero lines
anywhere all day long; lots of runs. I had to pinch myself -- simply walk up to a Gondola and take your pick, really?!

Difficult conditions all day -- much much ice, Blue, Black, didn't matter.
Even though I tuned my edges the night before, there's was much
surprise skidding all day long.

I saw a few guys going pretty fast and keeping it nailed to the rail, but not many.

The headwall at Superstar was built up an additional 20 to 30 feet
high since last visit and was essentially a big block of ice.

Skipped that and got to mid-Superstar by way of Launchpad.
At my skill level, it was difficult the whole way down. There was some lumpy stuff on the
sides, but still mostly ice. It was slow pole-hopping turns almost all
the way down.
Saw ski-patrol taking a dude down Superstar in those conditions - a
whole new respect for their skills and technique.
Wildfire on Bear Mtn was actually in okay shape.
Looking at the map, I we did every single Blue off of Skye Peak
and Bear, at least twice.
Skyeburst and Bear Claw had some decent stuff here and there; and, of course the guns were blazing along parts of Skyelark, Bittersweet, High Road.

Rime was holding up decently on K-peak.
Was surprised to see the Header on Ramshead looking so beat: scratch-ice-scratch.

Last run of the day was Great Eastern top to bottom, and took a detour to Home Stretch - ouch: skiing on ice, scrub, and twigs until reaching the Closed Rope, and detoured again onto Carpenter's Run (woof the homes along there are the stuff of dreams).

The buttonhook left turn almost at the bottom of Great Eastern was solid block ice; certainly the biggest controlled slide of the day.

Good times all in all.
For my level, it was a good skills builder.

snowmonster

Glad you had a great time. Nice grab!

I know you are new to this forum. But, next time, kindly put all trip reports in the Trip Reports section. It makes it easier for all of us. Thanks.

Sum1

Glad you had a great time. Nice grab!

I know you are new to this forum. But, next time, kindly put all trip reports in the Trip Reports section. It makes it easier for all of us. Thanks.

Doh!
Sorry for the brain-fade.
Will definitely remember for future runs.

Admins feel free to move contents at will. :)

MattMc

Very similar at Loon Mtn yesterday. If not for the good snow making I'd be looking at all PTex on the bottom of my skiis! The woods were nearly bare. Did anyone go to Sugarloaf this w/e? Wondering if the slopes were Kevlar?!

Sum1

Did you choose to ski at Killington because they have the most open terrain in VT ?

I do generally enjoy what Killington has, and my ski pal has a season pass there, a daughter close by, and it's also a doable drive from my place in CT. I'd like to get up to Wildcat and Smugglers but the drive pops the 4+ hour mark and makes it difficult to do in one day, which is my usual deal.

steamboat1

Parked at Skyeship Gondola at bottom of Great Eastern -- nice, no
crowds, easy parking, walk a hundred feet and jump a gondola, i like
it.

Due to Sunday Superbowl fever, there were No/None/Zero lines
anywhere all day long; lots of runs. I had to pinch myself -- simply walk up to a Gondola and take your pick, really?!
It's like that the majority of the time during the week, even with good conditions. Had nothing to do with the Superbowl.

Thanks for your honest appraisal of conditions

bdfreetuna

Sounds icy as f*ck. I can only imagine... I was there before the most recent thaw-freeze and even then it sucked compared to a few weeks before after all the snow.

Glad you are able to look upon the experience in a positive light.

Tyrolean_skier

I skied at Killington Saturday too but I had a different experience than the original poster. I am a regular at Killington so I know my way around the mountains. I skied Outer Limits many many times under the guns and Bear Claw/lower Skyburst. I don't mind skiing under the guns so I was always skiing on freshly made snow. Also skied Skylark to lower Bittersweet under the same conditions.

Sunday was a better day as it was a bit warmer. OL was still good under the guns and I skied it a few times. The surprise was an open Devil Fiddle where I got first tracks. Now that had a bit of fresh snow on top of some scratchy stuff on top but where they had done snowmaking it was pretty smooth skiing. Liked it so much I skied it 3 times. I also did many laps on Cascade which was also under the guns. I enjoyed skiing Escapade too because there was about 2 inches of new snow on it. The left edge of West Glade (North Ridge now) was also an accumulation of fresh snow. Downdraft although skiable did have some slick spots to contend with.

So I would say that anyone that does not mind skiing under the guns would have had a good time like I did.

Here are two pictures I took on Sunday. The one with snowmaking is OL and the other one is Devil's Fiddle.
OL_under_guns.jpg
Fiddle.jpg