• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Loon, 2-4-13

puckoach

2-4-13

Loon Mountain, Lincoln, NH

Since loss of last week, they have blown a ton of snow. In fact, more than they have had the chance to groom.

As I am not a fan of blown snow that has not been groomed, please understand that perspective. As an older guy with some knee damage, who once skied blacks, I am now a moderate blue to green guy. So to me, going thru this stuff is like skiing in sand. Worse when you hit some, without knowing it was coming up.

I did not go over to South Peak. Sunset had huge piles of the stuff, with only a small strip on the left side considerable as a blue.

In my search to limit this, I found that gondola, to Exodus or Bear Claw Ext, to Upper Picked Rock, Grand Junction was "sand". Bear Pause to Basin Street, then down Brookway.

I know I,m not the only one, as Lower Bear Claw was empty all day. Seven Brothers and Upper Bear Claw wasn't to bad. Lower Picked Rock = sand.

I also realize that many posters on this site are much better skiiers than I. But, I do know other people check this site that don't post. I have heard the newest rockered ski's get above this sand. Guess I'll have to try some and find out. But, spent a lot of money on the last of the cambered two years ago. Legend 85, the top All Mountains at the time.

My advice to Loon, I know you have to blow it. But, consider skill levels, and groom it for the Blue/green people.

Vortex

We don't agree here. I skied Loon yesterday in the am. Loon blew quite a bit of snow and was shutting down guns all morning. They will let it set a day or two and then groom it out. The only exception I saw was Upper Flume. Looks like that has been left for busier times. Pretty decent size whales that I think will get groomed out before the weekend. I thought anything off the kank quad was in fantastic shape. A few buddies debated if those were the best non powder day conitions of the year.
Looked like they got a few inches of fresh snow overnight up on the North Peak.

Upper walking Boss skied awesome, so did Angle st. Flying fox was not as good as Picked rock, but that was really good. The only complaint I heard was Blue ox was listed as groomed and it was not. I never read the report. To each their own opinion. I think yesteday could be classified as hero snow. I loved it. I thought Bear claw top to bottom was great and smooth and groomed everywhere except by Bear island bypass and into grand junction which I believe just needed some base built.

hammer

Did they make snow on Angel Street? Went down that once on Sunday and it was groomed out and in pretty good shape, plenty of edgeable snow and little scrape.

I went down an ungroomed Blue Ox on Sunday, between the rollers and the snowmaking piles it was fun for me and I don't ski all that well on ungroomed. But as BobR said to each their own.

Vortex

Hammer, no snow made on Angel St, but about 2 inches of snow on the top section. A bit scrathcy by can't dog and back under the east basin double was fantastic. I did see a couple thin spots right at the edge. Really enjoyed the run.

puckoach

Everyone has an opinion.

But, the entire blue / green portion of the mountain, except for a few small patches were groomed for Tuesday. The mounds of snow on Sunset were distributed. It was a great day with awesome conditions.

I can't answer for the blacks, or South Peak. Didn't go over there, and I don't ski off the Kanc Quad.

I rode lifts with a number of people that shared my opinion of Monday, as well as Tuesday.

What happend was they blew a lot of snow, and didn't groom it for Monday. Did groom it for Tuesday.

I respect that different level people like different conditions.

Loon promotes being a groomed mountain, it was not on Monday.

It was groomed on Tuesday, and I did more runs than I have in years.

hammer

Everyone has an opinion.

But, the entire blue / green portion of the mountain, except for a few small patches were groomed for Tuesday. The mounds of snow on Sunset were distributed. It was a great day with awesome conditions.

I can't answer for the blacks, or South Peak. Didn't go over there, and I don't ski off the Kanc Quad.

I rode lifts with a number of people that shared my opinion of Monday, as well as Tuesday.

What happend was they blew a lot of snow, and didn't groom it for Monday. Did groom it for Tuesday.

I respect that different level people like different conditions.

Loon promotes being a groomed mountain, it was not on Monday.

It was groomed on Tuesday, and I did more runs than I have in years.
Good that you got out for better conditions.

A number of (but not all) AZers here can be less than enthusiastic about groomers...don't let it deter you from providing your perspective. I don't mind the ungroomed but with my limited skills if that were all that was available I would not have a fun day myself. My preference is to be able to mix it up a bit.

Vortex

I do see your opinion and understand it. My point or direction is the snow usually is allowed to cure for 1 to 2 days after being blown before it is moved. If it gets groomed really quick you can get death cookies and a surface that is not what any of us are looking for. An example would have been a good portion of the governors side that had snow made, it cured, and then was groomed. some had not had tiem to cure, hence had not been groomed. Grand junction I assume and the windy part of Bear claw. and had not been groomed Monday, due to the guns were just beign shut off. looks like the snow made Sunday night into Monday was groomed Monday night or am tues.