• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2/7-2/9

Glenn

Waiting for the noon updates from the NWS Albany office. I love the forecast discussion when these events are on the horizon.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
This storm looks to favor Maine/MWV no? Also I'm told they have some base in the woods so you're not starting from scratch.

I'd be skipping Magic and going east if the models are correct but that's a very distant observation. Black mtn NH/wildcat/SR/Abram have lots of potential!

Hmm, maybe change my plans and double up on Ragged Fri and Sun? Unfortunately, Sat is a no-go for family reasons.

Smellytele

This storm looks to favor Maine/MWV no? Also I'm told they have some base in the woods so you're not starting from scratch.

I'd be skipping Magic and going east if the models are correct but that's a very distant observation. Black mtn NH/wildcat/SR/Abram have lots of potential!

I think that area is a little far north but it may get almost as much as S VT but not as much.

Bostonian

C-Rex

Hmmmm how do I convince my wife to let me ski both saturday and sunday! I think I may have to make the pilgrimage to magic!

Just do it. It's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. :smash:

I have plans for Killington on Friday and possibly Okemo or Pico on Saturday.... I'll be organizing snow dances and sacrifices from now until the lifts start spinning Friday morning.

hammer

Oh you'd be surprised.
Should have added more ;-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-)

I'll admit that I have AWD and all-seasons, but in no way do I think I do as well as if I had winter tires as well. With the issues I just had getting my new all-seasons balanced properly I think I can live with those for now.

BenedictGomez

I'll admit that I have AWD and all-seasons, but in no way do I think I do as well as if I had winter tires as well.

There was a (very) extensive thread on this a few years ago, complete with research studies.

Generally speaking (and for the love of God, please focus on the word "generally" people) AWD + snowtires > AWD > FWD + Snowtires > FWD > RWD + Snowtires > RWD.

Obviously there will be exceptions given certain cars snow prowess, but that's a fair generalization; the main point was, YES, snowtires do make a big difference.

Last edited:

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
There was a (very) extensive thread on this a few years ago, complete with research studies.

Generally speaking (and for the love of God, please focus on the word "generally" people) AWD + snowtires > AWD > RWD + Snowtires > RWD > FWD + Snowtires > FWD.

Obviously there will be exceptions given certain cars snow prowess, but that's a fair generalization; the main point was, YES, snowtires do make a big difference.

I would disagree that generally RWD > FWD in the snow. Particularly RWD > FWD + snowtires, that's just silly.

BenedictGomez

I would disagree that generally RWD > FWD in the snow. Particularly RWD > FWD + snowtires, that's just silly.

Lord yes, that is a big typo to correct. FWD is obviously much better than RWD in snow.

If my memory serves me, the longest raging battle in that 1000 page thread was whether or not RWD + Snowtires was better or worse (or maybe equal to) FWD with all seasons. It even surpassed the AWD + all seasons versus FWD + snowtires battle. lol

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Jim Cantore says they need more colors and lines to represent the even higher amounts on this chart!

CONUS1_ETA212_SFC_ACCUMSNOWFALL-KUCHERA_84HR.gif