• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2/7-2/9

Euler

What's this I hear about Mass roads closing to traffic after 4 pm Friday?

Gov of Massachussetts has declared state of emegency and issued a travel ban for the entire state beginning at 4PM. I've never heard of a statewide travel ban before. This storm is something!

jrmagic

Gov of Massachussetts has declared state of emegency and issued a travel ban for the entire state beginning at 4PM. I've never heard of a statewide travel ban before. This storm is something!

Mass is scared of a 78' repeat. If they didnt do this and some ahole dies stranded on some road the political backlash would likely be severe.

Cranking here in Westchester too. I went to the store a little while ago and had an honest 1/2" on the car in 25 odd minutes.

jrmagic

LMAO nice reality check :D As of a couple of days ago we were looking at an upside of 6" at best. Enjoy whatever Ullr grants or prepare sacrifices for better results in the future :snow:

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
That's true and a good way to look at it. In all honesty 15" would be a lot easier for my morning travel tomorrow.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for 24, but I realize there's a point where I really can't tell the difference. Especially with my limited powder experience.

Bene288

Snowing pretty good here in the Dacks, calling for the heaviest of snow starting at midnight. Even if it snowed all night at this pace they would pick up a good 7". Some of the fluffiest snow I've ever seen. I'd be happy with a 15" range, but I think we'll be lucky to get 10 according to NOAA.

Bumpsis

Mass is scared of a 78' repeat. If they didnt do this and some ahole dies stranded on some road the political backlash would likely be severe.

I'm sure you're right. On the other hand, the storm has been less than impressive so far here (I'm on the southern side of Boston). The snow total is no more than 3 inches and yes, it's blowing so visbilty is something of an issue. But declaring state of emergency for this is a bit ridiculous. If you cautious and have snow tires on, you could easily move around. The big snowfall is not suppose to be here until midnight.

j law

Skied Okemo today and there was about 2 inches that accumulated through the day. Since the lifts closed, it's picked up the pace... but I don't think this is going to be the big blower that we were hoping for.

That said, this storm will help open a lot of the steeper terrain and the glades which is awesome.

Any suggestions on where to go tomorrow? I'm staying Claremont, NH tonight and trying to decide what to do tomorrow. Magic? Sunapee? Any other reports out there?

jrmagic

Skied Okemo today and there was about 2 inches that accumulated through the day. Since the lifts closed, it's picked up the pace... but I don't think this is going to be the big blower that we were hoping for.

That said, this storm will help open a lot of the steeper terrain and the glades which is awesome.

Any suggestions on where to go tomorrow? I'm staying Claremont, NH tonight and trying to decide what to do tomorrow. Magic? Sunapee? Any other reports out there?

Youre in a good place to zig or zag. If I were you Id hold off till tomorrow early morning and see what has fallen and decide based on reality.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Normally that is true but now that the winds have shifted from the north to the E/SE, the White Mtns are sucking up all the snow. It has been barely flurrying here in N VT for the last 4 hours. :(

BenedictGomez

Coventry, CT has ONE FOOT of snow in 90 minutes.

That's 8" per hour or 1 inch of snow in 7.5 minutes. Head Explodes.

7 inches so far in Sunapee nh. Heavy band is approaching in the coming hours and should bump us over a foot

j law

Youre in a good place to zig or zag. If I were you Id hold off till tomorrow early morning and see what has fallen and decide based on reality.

Any idea how I can check the snowfall totals early in the am (before the resorts report their snow totals?). Or now that I think of it, do you know what time they report? it use to be 6:30 when I lived in Co.

BenedictGomez

Here's approximately what to expect from the rest of tonight.

15483348510374153688916.png