• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Fun With Google Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingdom-tele

is the other half is making sure everyone knows about it?

I am just busting your balls. It is fun working a plan and seeing how it unfolds. Glad you enjoy being out. That area is perfect dust on crust skiing. I'm up there a lot, let me know if you want to check out some other areas up this way, I can save you some time if your interested.

blog your brains out boys, at some point you'll realize how much your missing out there, seems like a lot of energy wasted trying to make sure everyone knows how far you drive and hike to ski

Huck_It_Baby

is the other half is making sure everyone knows about it?

I am just busting your balls. It is fun working a plan and seeing how it unfolds. Glad you enjoy being out. That area is perfect dust on crust skiing. I'm up there a lot, let me know if you want to check out some other areas up this way, I can save you some time if your interested.

blog your brains out boys, at some point you'll realize how much your missing out there, seems like a lot of energy wasted trying to make sure everyone knows how far you drive and hike to ski

Haha! It really is a great dust on crust spot. Wide open and mellow.

I'd love to take you up on the offer, thank you! I'm up there a lot and often alone. I skinned up Belvidere last weekend too but didn't get far as the sun was setting and my start was way too late. Looks like some fun stuff there. So many places to hit.

legalskier

Have you done any of the High Peaks in ADK? If you haven't I highly recommend them to you. I think you would have a blast.
I haven't.. but I am itching to try. It is pretty far for me so I always end up going to closer spots. One day.... one day...

When I was at Gore last week we could see the big white slides up there so clearly that someone in our group asked if that was Whiteface. I already knew the answer was no- because I had asked the same thing the first time I saw them long ago.

Gore Cloud 1-13.JPG
Can you see them way out there?

MadMadWorld

When I was at Gore last week we could see the big white slides up there so clearly that someone in our group asked if that was Whiteface. I already knew the answer was no- because I had asked the same thing the first time I saw them long ago.

View attachment 7582
Can you see them way out there?

Hard to tell but it most likely is the Gothics. Lots and lots of fun. Slides are just as good as the ones at Whiteface (some are much harder). Wright and Colden also have great slides. I am always looking for a BC partner if anyone wants to be shown around.

Huck_It_Baby

Hard to tell but it most likely is the Gothics. Lots and lots of fun. Slides are just as good as the ones at Whiteface (some are much harder). Wright and Colden also have great slides. I am always looking for a BC partner if anyone wants to be shown around.

Is there much snow in the Gothics right now?

I'd love a tour. love!

MadMadWorld

Is there much snow in the Gothics right now?

I'd love a tour. love!

I did Wright in December but nothing is skiable right now. Things could change quickly though if everything comes together on Friday. We can definitely coordinate something.

This is Trap Dike on Colden. I have only done it once but it feels like you are skiing a couloir out west.

IMG_0377.jpg

Very steep with plenty of ledges to air it out

IMG_4720.jpg

Trap Dike runs right down the middle of this photo and as you can imagine it holds snow very well and provides great spring turns.

I will add that you definitely need a good amount of winter/ice climbing skills for this one but there are plenty of others that aren't as technical.

Last edited:

kingdom-tele

I'd have to agree. Park, Skin, Ski, Smile.

more ski TR's should follow this rule of capturing an experience

andy- thats not the point I'm getting at. do what you want, I don't read your blog, nor give a shit really, I'm not into reading about someone else's self promotion. it is awkward though IMO to be regurgitating over and over noise(google map use, seriously) so people will click on your link

maybe you guys need brighter ski gear to make the pics more exciting, ski with sparklers on your helmet, something

playing coy with info that is readily accessible to anyone who wants to walk into the woods is hardly entertaining, IMO of coarse

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
more ski TR's should follow this rule of capturing an experience

andy- thats not the point I'm getting at. do what you want, I don't read your blog, nor give a shit really, I'm not into reading about someone else's self promotion. it is awkward though IMO to be regurgitating over and over noise(google map use, seriously) so people will click on your link

maybe you guys need brighter ski gear to make the pics more exciting, ski with sparklers on your helmet, something

playing coy with info that is readily accessible to anyone who wants to walk into the woods is hardly entertaining, IMO of coarse

On my blog, I was thinking of posting pictures and maps to where we skied last year. Maybe I shouldn't? :dontknow: That picture of you with the roman candles strapped to your skis is priceless. ;-)

kingdom-tele

On my blog, I was thinking of posting pictures and maps to where we skied last year. Maybe I shouldn't? :dontknow: That picture of you with the roman candles strapped to your skis is priceless. ;-)

inner circle NEK, inner circle, come on.

maps in blogs would be better if they were napkin sketches, maybe some pole tip lines in the sand.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I prefer drawing of maps in snow with pee. You gotta be well hydrated for the complicated ones.

This should give it away...
Dsc05620.jpg

Dsc05600.jpg

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I typically lean toward don't. I like to take pictures and share them on a limited basis. My blog (which hasn't been updated in over a year :oops: ), has been more of a documentary of Burke's transition from ski area to resort rather than a trip report site.

Last edited:

kingdom-tele

Apparently you're damned if you do and damned if you don't around here.

context is everything IMO huck.

there are plenty of blogs out there, even dogs with blogs.

most of the time they are focused on the emotion of the experience. starting a conversation about how you buckle your boots, which hand you pump gas with on the way ski, or some other no shit subject looks a lot like attention whoring.

kind of funny if you think about it, spend all the time to recon, hike, ski, hang with friends, alone, with the dog, whatever so you can rush back and make sure everyone knows about it. becoming a stranger and stranger concept to me.

Huck_It_Baby

context is everything IMO huck.

there are plenty of blogs out there, even dogs with blogs.

most of the time they are focused on the emotion of the experience. starting a conversation about how you buckle your boots, which hand you pump gas with on the way ski, or some other no shit subject looks a lot like attention whoring.

kind of funny if you think about it, spend all the time to recon, hike, ski, hang with friends, alone, with the dog, whatever so you can rush back and make sure everyone knows about it. becoming a stranger and stranger concept to me.

Yeah I get your take on it and would agree on many levels.

Humans ARE very self centered but I'm not sure everyone who posts a TR simply wants the world to know. Sometimes you just want to share the awesome experience with other liked minded ski junkies.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Humans ARE very self centered but I'm not sure everyone who posts a TR simply wants the world to know. Sometimes you just want to share the awesome experience with other liked minded ski junkies.
Maybe I am just projecting my opinion a bit here, but if I am not mistaken, I think kingdom-tele might have been alluding to how aggressive NEBC self promotes with forum cross posting and self promotion and how the majority of NEBC's posts are not reports but meta. Not for nothing but NEBC doesn't make many posts (that are not responses to their own threads) on this forum or others that don't include a link back to a post on the NEBC site.

As far as kingdom-tele questioning the whole blogging thing... well, I am sure a lot of people never log into a ski forum and wonder why people waste their time doing that too. We are all culpable in a massive online culture devoted to wanking off in the written word and occasionally some pics. What is the difference between that discussion happening on a forum with massive participation or a more narrowly driven and focused blog with content originating only from one source and discussion only happening around those posts? Its all the same waste of time either way.

Website
www.nebackcountry.blogspot.com
Not for nothing but NEBC doesn't make many posts (that are not responses to their own threads) on this forum or others that don't include a link back to a post on the NEBC site.

I've been working on participating a little more... But apparently not hard enough.

Consider that the limited time I have to write about my thoughts/ideas on the bc I put mostly toward the blog. I suppose I could then cut and paste that stuff into the forums to make it look more original but what's the point?

So I link and look forward to the discussion it generates. And by discussion I don't (just) mean compliments. I honestly enjoy being told when I'm full of it... when I'm mistaken... or when there's something that I didn't consider.

I admit I'm guilty lurking on other's posts rather than offering my thoughts. But like I said above... working on that.

Huck_It_Baby

I've been working on participating a little more... But apparently not hard enough.

Consider that the limited time I have to write about my thoughts/ideas on the bc I put mostly toward the blog. I suppose I could then cut and paste that stuff into the forums to make it look more original but what's the point?

So I link and look forward to the discussion it generates. And by discussion I don't (just) mean compliments. I honestly enjoy being told when I'm full of it... when I'm mistaken... or when there's something that I didn't consider.

I admit I'm guilty lurking on other's posts rather than offering my thoughts. But like I said above... working on that.

I for one enjoy your posts and TRs. Tele has a point but you have provided a lot of enjoyable photos, TR's and info for the rest of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.