• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Apline World Championships - Lindsey is out

Huck_It_Baby

Anyone else think airlifting her out with a heli is a little extreme? Not understanding that one but I certainly don't have all the details.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Anyone else think airlifting her out with a heli is a little extreme? Not understanding that one but I certainly don't have all the details.

It certainly does seem a bit extreme. Only plausible reasons I could see them doing it for is if there was any indication of damage to the Femoral or she knocked her head real good and precaution was taken against a brain bleed.

drjeff

Just recently posted on Ski Racing Magazine's FB page, comments from Lindsey

"Status Update
By Ski Racing Magazine
The latest from Lindsey Vonn:
"First off I want to say thank you to the amazing medical staff that cared for me. I plan on returning to Vail as soon as I can to have the necessary surgeries. I am also grateful to my fans for the outpouring of support, which has really helped me stay positive. I can assure you that I will work as hard as humanly possible to be ready to represent my country next year in Sochi." "

AdironRider

The airlifting out is a joke. For a blown knee? Sheesh.

At least in my little ski community, people are over LV. It seems she cant go a month without some drama.

ScottySkis

The airlifting out is a joke. For a blown knee? Sheesh.

At least in my little ski community, people are over LV. It seems she cant go a month without some drama.
The women got hurt racing, let's see you do what she has in a great career. Hope she gets better soon..!

drjeff

I think it is std. protocol when the skier is unable to get down the mtn. under their own power in Europe for racing. At least from what I see when I watch racing

Yup, that's standard procedure at any worldcup race where the weather is safe enough for a helicopter to fly. Injuries to world class athletes in a big money sport will almost always result in a "dramatic" response to get them to appropriate care as quickly as possible. If it had been a lower level race or even a recreational skier/rider that suffered an injury where they couldn't make it down the hill on their own, then you can pretty much bet that they'd be getting a tobogan ride to the base area care center and then and ambulance ride from there to the hospital.

I'm sure in a day or two when she's comfortable enough to fly the distance, Lindsey will be on a private medical jet directly into Vail where the docs at the Steadman clinic who treat the US Ski Team athletes (and many a world class athlete from multiple sports for that matter) will perform the surgery and get her rehab started. Plus, I'm guessing that both Redbull and NBC Sports will periodically be dropping in on her to check out the progress of her rehab and shoot some video for segments to air over the next year before the Sochi games

drjeff

If that is indeed the case its a pretty sickening waste of resources

That's just big $$ sports these days. Heck, you've always got atleast 1 medical copter on site at a NASCAR or Indy or F1 race. And really how much different is it on the body when crashing inside a mega reinforced steel and carbon fiber cockpit while fully belted into a 5 point harness and HANS device at 150mph vs. crashing at 60mph on the side of an ice covered mountain with just a DH suit on??

Right or overkill?? That's debateable for sure.....

AdironRider

Comparing alpine ski racing to the most popular spectator sport in the world is a bit of a stretch.

With deadhead on this one, its was completely unneeded.

Puck it

Comparing alpine ski racing to the most popular spectator sport in the world is a bit of a stretch.

US doctor was on the crash site evaluating her. He could have deemed it necessary if there was a lot of pain.

drjeff

To play devil's advocate with you on the one AR, if some non famous member of the general public sustained a similar injury while skiing in the back country of Jackson Hole, would a weather permitting copter evacuation of them verses say a search and rescue carry out/sled out rescue be appropriate??

AdironRider

Depends where they are. If they are way out in the backcountry in a dicey spot yeah. But this wasnt in the backcountry, was on a wide open groomer, within ski resort boundaries.

Most BC rescues the victim doesnt get airlifted out via helicopter. Usually only trauma (I dont think Lindseys qualifies) to the head or massive bleeding.

This is the most common ski injury that isnt shing bang or skiers thumb. Shes made a big deal about shin bang (during the Olympics even! - shin bang seriously) before anyways so I suppose I shouldnt be to shocked she got airlifted in the first place.

deadheadskier

Staff member
US doctor was on the crash site evaluating her. He could have deemed it necessary if there was a lot of pain.

They've got morphine in an ambulance, just like they do at the hospital......

Wow.Lots of desk doctors here.It possibly could have been a knee dislocation.In a severe case that can be life threatening.

I mentioned the dangers of femoral damage and if that was the case it would've been known pretty much immediately by the fist responder.

I guess my feeling is that I'm fine with having medivac capabilities at the ready for these events, but if it's not needed, it shouldn't be used. Why? Because as she's getting flown off in that helicopter, chances are they've got another one in route in case the next racer suffers an injury. Or.....if they intend on having that same helicopter 180 around after depositing her at the hospital, what if it costs precious time if/when a subsequent racer gets in a wreck where such transportation is truly needed.

I guess if Tiger picks up the tab, I don't care. :lol:

ERJ-145CA

Yup, that's standard procedure at any worldcup race where the weather is safe enough for a helicopter to fly. Injuries to world class athletes in a big money sport will almost always result in a "dramatic" response to get them to appropriate care as quickly as possible. If it had been a lower level race or even a recreational skier/rider that suffered an injury where they couldn't make it down the hill on their own, then you can pretty much bet that they'd be getting a tobogan ride to the base area care center and then and ambulance ride from there to the hospital.

I'm sure in a day or two when she's comfortable enough to fly the distance, Lindsey will be on a private medical jet directly into Vail where the docs at the Steadman clinic who treat the US Ski Team athletes (and many a world class athlete from multiple sports for that matter) will perform the surgery and get her rehab started. Plus, I'm guessing that both Redbull and NBC Sports will periodically be dropping in on her to check out the progress of her rehab and shoot some video for segments to air over the next year before the Sochi games

As a recreational skier I got the toboggan and ambulance combo on January 4th. There were two air ambulance guys standing by (they base them at Mountain Creek when it's open) but I took the ground ambulance. Hopefully Lindsey recovers quickly, I feel for her. I remember tumbling down the trail knowing that my leg was broken as I was tumbling. I got the tibia/fibia fracture and messed up knee combo. Laid up for 6 months, it sucks, especially with this storm coming.

Because of my crash I had something called compartment syndrome where different areas of the leg swell very badly and puts pressure on the nerves and arteries which in around 6 hours (from the time of the injury) can kill the nerves and muscle if the pressure is not reduced in a timely fashion. Where I am in North Jersey there are tons of hospitals around so an ambulance is fine. In some areas the helicopter might be the best way to ensure quick treatment to avoid losing the affected limb.

Last edited: