• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Need advice on skis

mckay

I just started skiing last year and I love it. Went about 20 times. Last year I bought a pair of Atomic Izor 5:3. This ski is available in 4 stifness levels, mine are the second from the bottom. They are intended to be used by beginner/intermediate skiers.

I would say I have become an intermediate skier. I ski any blues and some blacks and I can carve turns. However, whenever I am on a steeper trail I can't get the skies to carve. I do a lot of skidding. Is this because I'm still not a very good skier, or is it because the skies aren't stiff enough for me, or some combination of the two? Or is it because I weigh 190 lbs.?

I'm thinking I'll try out some stiffer skies on a demo day somewhere, but 'til then, does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I would say I have become an intermediate skier. I ski any blues and some blacks and I can carve turns. However, whenever I am on a steeper trail I can't get the skies to carve. I do a lot of skidding. Is this because I'm still not a very good skier, or is it because the skies aren't stiff enough for me, or some combination of the two? Or is it because I weigh 190 lbs.?
that is really an impossible question to evaluate without seeing you in action to see if your technique has surpassed your ski's ability. if you have only been skiing for one year, i suspect lessons would substantially help your carving ability on the steeps. various intermediate skis are not going to differ too much regardless of flex. probably better to put that money towards developing better technique than a minor upgrade in equipment.

bigbog

...it's usually the driver.....

Hi mckay,
Agreed..with rivercOil...video is best...
My $.01(with my normal rambling..sorry)...when your ski tails are "washing out"/pivoting-around...you haven't been pressuring the entire/most-of-the length of the ski enough by your upper body = probable pivoting or banking of your hips/shoulders away from your outside(downhill) edge.
Keeping the edges sharp helps a lot as well....

Last edited:

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
As Riverc0il said, it's hard to tell with out seeing you ski. At the same time, skis do make a big difference. Don't tell him I said so, but bvibert did a great job of compiling a list of Demo Days at different resorts http://forums.alpinezone.com/9633-2006-2007-demo-days-list.html . I would suggest that if possible, you take advantage of some of these and try different skis. I would plan ahead and do some research. As an example Killington is have a Salomon demo day in December. I would research Salomon skis and try to determine which may fit my style best and then demo those ski. Also, if you go to a demo day event, talk to the people working it, they are usually pretty knowledgeable and may be able to make some good recommendations.

mckay

I went to a bootfitter last year and my boots fit great. My heel is snug right in there, my toes are right up against the end when I stand up straight, and they are so comfortable I don't need to unbuckle when I'm in the lodge. I couldn't be happier with the boots. I think the boots are a 60 or 70 stiffness Solomon. Also, I just had my skis tuned. I paid for a mid-level tune. $45. I don't think sharpness is the problem.

I have no doubt at all that I've got lots of technical problems with my skiing that an good instructor could help me out with, but no one has answered my question about weight. Does a heavier skier need a stiffer ski, even if they aren't all that good of a skier? It seems like that would make sense.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Does a heavier skier need a stiffer ski, even if they aren't all that good of a skier? It seems like that would make sense.
not necessarily. for example, if i wanted to rip groomers all day, i probably would go with something like a volkl s5 or S6 which are rather stiff skis. i used to ski on stiffer skis than what i ski on now, which are relatively soft compared to what i used to ski on since i primarily ski powder and trees. weight may be a factor, but how you use a ski and your technique are more important drivers of stiffness, imo. i don't really think i noticed the differences between skis when i was just learning.

SKIQUATTRO

like it was said before, thats a very hard question to answer without seeing you ski...weight has very little to do with it...as you are a beginner i'd suspect that you are getting your weight back on the steeper stuff rather than keeping your shoulder square with the grade of the terrain...put the money towards some good private instruction, i really doubt its your skis

ajl50

I agree with the rest of the people on the board- It's not the skis. If you feel yourself skidding and not carving on a steeper trail it's going to be a technique thing. Take a lesson. If you love skiing it will pay-off huge dividends. Your problem prob. lies in sitting too far back on a steeper trail - it's a natural reaction. Focus on leaning forward, keeping your hands in front of you and engaging the tips of the skis. I think about driving the ski with front wheel drive and it keeps me turning from the tips.

mckay

Thanks so much. Looks like I'll be setting up a good time for a lesson or two.

ajl50

Yea...lessons are totally worth it. Great for building confidence. Also take the lesson at the start of any ski trip so that you can practice your improvements.

Edd

Some good suggestions but don't always blame yourself for skidding on the steeps. Sometimes controlled skids are necessary when it's scratchy. Steeper pitches tend to scratch up quicker simply because snow falls down the hill. There are skiers skilled at making skids look like carves.

JimG.

Staff member
Some good suggestions but don't always blame yourself for skidding on the steeps. Sometimes controlled skids are necessary when it's scratchy. Steeper pitches tend to scratch up quicker simply because snow falls down the hill. There are skiers skilled at making skids look like carves.

Yup...no such thing as a perfect carve either. There's always a bit of skid in there.

Ever make turns on a ski that has been poorly tuned and is base low/edge high or "railed"?
Damned unpleasant feeling, like you can't get off your old turn and start the new one. That's alot like what a "perfect" carve would feel like, like you're stuck on railroad tracks and can't get off.

mckay

I think a lesson would be good if for no other reason than to find out where I'm at. I did just start last year, but I did also go over 20 times. This first time I went this year I was trying to keep my torso pointed downhill, someone was just telling me how important that is, and I thought it made a big difference. I felt more in control.

YardSaleDad

Website
www.tirnalong.com
I started the season before and got out last season a little over 20 times. I also had at least half a dozen group lessons at Belleayre @ $25 a lesson + tips. Made a world of difference in my progression, confidence, and enjoyment. YMMV. Reading posts here, didn't hurt either ;)

bigbog

Ditto on JimG's post...
It's always great to have another pair of eyes analyzing you from a different angle. That's why the video-thing is terrific as well, not just another resort-gimic.

KevinF

I went to a bootfitter last year and my boots fit great. My heel is snug right in there, my toes are right up against the end when I stand up straight, and they are so comfortable I don't need to unbuckle when I'm in the lodge. I couldn't be happier with the boots.

What did the bootfitter do to check your fit? The boots being comfy on your feet is a great start, but there's a lot more to a great fit then just comfort. i.e., if you're bow-legged or knock-kneed, then good performance skiing can be nearly impossible -- unless your boots are setup to compensate for how your legs are naturally aligned. If the forward lean of your boots is not compatible with the geometry of your legs, then you can be in the back seat (or way too far forward) from the moment you click in, and you'll be fighting that with every turn you make. If your bootfitter checked your alignment -- awesome, you are miles ahead of the game. :beer: If not, and you are truly serious about getting better, get your boots aligned. It's not necessarily cheap, but it'll do far more for your skiing then any lesson or any new pair of skis will.

I think the boots are a 60 or 70 stiffness Solomon.

The stiffness rating of boots doesn't mean a whole lot. i.e., 70-stiff Solomon's are different from 70-stiff Lange's, which are different from 70-stiff Dolomite's, etc. It's comparable within the same manufacturer, but it's pretty meaningless otherwise.

Also, I just had my skis tuned. I paid for a mid-level tune. $45. I don't think sharpness is the problem.

Be aware that with typical New England conditions (i.e., hardpack), skis won't stay sharp for long.

jimmer

well for one thing ,going only 20 times, im sorry to say you are still a beginner, leasons will help, being on the snow is most important,evey thing you want to do on skiis takes never ending practice, the more you keep at it the better you get, youll make a breakthrough and get to intermediate level after that it takes years ,keep at it youll be fine, oh and by the way its ok to skid .most important HAVE FUN.skiing with skiers way better than you also helps.:daffy: