• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whats up with Mt Snow?

SIKSKIER

I've been very critical of my home area but I was very surprized when I looked at Snows report this morning.Only 301 of the 588 acres open.Even their math is wrong claiming that is 64% of open.No snowmaking in progess either.They are are starting to make Cannon look pretty good.What's up there?Drjeff?

Last edited:

bheemsoth

Wait 24 hours. Not much sense in putting big money into snowmaking when a blizzard is rolling in.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

skiur

why isnt there any sense in blowing snow before a blizzard? it makes perfect sense to me.

SIKSKIER

Just surprized because they have been big players in the snowmaking game especially after their much boasted huge tower gun upgrade a few years back.Early in the year they were holding out because of the marginal weather(very understandable).But this surprizes me that with the big melt last week and only 50% of the terrain open with that fire power and apparently not using it.Jeesh,even Cannon is making right through the weekend.But then again,Cannon was so far behind to start with so...

drjeff

I've been very critical of my home area but I was very surprized when I looked at Snows report this morning.Only 301 of the 588 acres open.Even their math is wrong claiming that is 64% of open.No snowmaking in progess either.They are are starting to make Cannon look pretty good.What's up there?Drjeff?

They didn't change the percent of acres open this morning is all I can think of. A couple of their runs that are skiable and open are closed to the public today for racing (South Bowl and Charlie's Chace - that's about 20 - 25 acres of terrain) and Inferno which has been open as a non park trail since December is closed for its build out to its XL park size and is supposed to open by the weekend. Other than that the only snowmaking trail that isn't open is Ripcord, which i'm sure they'll drop the rope on when the storm puts some fresh snow down, either that or they would of had to winch it to get it open. There's literally about 10 feet of snow down the middle of Ripcord right now.

The rest of the "lack" of acres is all natural terrain. That will change in the next 48hrs for sure :) :snow:

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Mount Snow has to be very cautious with their snowmaking. They have very limited access to water. Why make snow when a 2 foot blizzard is coming? They'll be saving their snowmaking for February break.

drjeff

Just surprized because they have been big players in the snowmaking game especially after their much boasted huge tower gun upgrade a few years back.Early in the year they were holding out because of the marginal weather(very understandable).But this surprizes me that with the big melt last week and only 50% of the terrain open with that fire power and apparently not using it.Jeesh,even Cannon is making right through the weekend.But then again,Cannon was so far behind to start with so...

They've essentially resurfaced everything since the thaw with the exception of Ripcord. And the amount of snow that they've made this year, from the fan guns and air water guns alike is impressive. They really don't need to make anymore snow on the snowmaking terrain and will, barring the week or so of 75* temps like we had early last March be fine until they close likely in mid April. Us Mount Snow regulars are really very happy with how much more snow they've made this year to date, compared to literally ANY year historically. Heck, even on their passholders only website, there hasn't been any complaints about the amount of snowmaking or questions about commitment to snowmaking pretty much since the season started. Those of us that are on the product and see the effort on a very regular basis realize that while on paper the numbers might not look stellar, what's actually on the hill has been VERY good

It was a bit of slow start for snowmaking this year because of some marginal temps and some BIG inversions, but once the cold air got here, they made a massive amount of snow all over the mountain wherever they can get the hoses to reach

Last edited:

drjeff

Mount Snow has to be very cautious with their snowmaking. They have very limited access to water. Why make snow when a 2 foot blizzard is coming? They'll be saving their snowmaking for February break.

Water actually hasn't been as big a deal this year as in the past. The various non frozen precip events that hit did wonders at keep the inflow rate into their main pond at a very good level and Haystack hasn't used too much water either so Mount Snow had essentially no changes in the amount of water that they pump from Haystack upto the mid mountain pond on Carinthia for that portion of the snowmaking. If they do any snowmaking for Pres Week it will likely just be in a thaw/freeze up "touch up" scenario. They've got some solid base on the snowmaking terrain

Edd

Skied Tuesday and Wed at MS this week and I was pretty impressed with the overall surface conditions considering our winter so far. Bumps were not plentiful and the few that I found were pretty unforgiving.

Angus

Sunday...any natural snow trail had no snow except the dusting that had fallen overnight. Even at the top of mountain when you looked into the woods, there was very little snow. I thought they'd done a pretty good job with snow making but I'm like a once a year visitor. my son and I both remarked that for metro-west Boston day skiers, a pass to Mt. Snow might be a pretty good deal given relative ease of drive and time 2-2:15.

wow, my 850th post in 8 years of being a contributor, 1 every 3+ days.