• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where will you be on Saturday morning?

New Daddy

Loon & Waterville: Not my top choices by any means. But Loon South Peak is 5 minute walk from my house. If Cannon has wind holds I may be tempted to hit Loon. The biggest knock on Loon is the crowds. But they storm may keep some travelers away and South Peak tends to get less traffic. Great sustained pith there for long runs that could be a blast with 12". WV ( can ski 1/2 price) and it might handle the winds. Then again I probably won't choose to drive 40min for WV over Loon.

Is the crowds the only thing I have to worry about Loon? I'm puzzled why Loon is not mentioned more in this thread.
I don't mind tracked powder. I don't get to ski on fluffy stuff a lot anyway. If it's wind-hold vulnerability of Loon, that's a whole different matter.

kickstand

Attitash for me. My son is in a lesson there and it's the closest to our place, so it's really the only option. I think Black will be the place to be in the valley on Sunday.

Cannonball

Is the crowds the only thing I have to worry about Loon? I'm puzzled why Loon is not mentioned more in this thread.
I don't mind tracked powder. I don't get to ski on fluffy stuff a lot anyway. If it's wind-hold vulnerability of Loon, that's a whole different matter.

To tell the truth, I don't have enough Loon experience to be an authority on this. Crowds are a major concern for sure. They are kind of pricey...but who cares if it really is a major powder day. They do face north and could be impacted by this wind. But they have so many lifts in different orientations and elevations there may be options.

Riverskier

Saturday morning I will be sleeping in. I can ski either day this weekend, but not both. I am taking a calculated risk and going with Sunday. I would rather risk skiing leftovers on Sunday than risk getting shutdown by windholds on Saturday. I wish I could ski both, but it is not in the cards.

Anklebiter

I want to go To Gore on Saturday and ski free Sunday with my pricechopper pass, or I might hit up my favorite in the Catskills, but not sure if my car will be happy with me.

Originally, on Saturday we were just going to do some snowshoeing and check out some of the small towns in the Catskills. Now, it might be snowshoeing in the morning at Plattekill. Then my son and I skiing the second half of the day. Sunday we will be at Hunter and Monday morning/early afternoon at Bellearye.

BenedictGomez

I agree but will be skiing at the local hill where I have never seen a wind hold and then ski Sunday at a bigger place.

Sounds like a smart plan.

I may still hit the Poconos Saturday if the RPM model pans out. I'm not buying it, but if the Poconos gets 16" to 20" I'll ski in a hurricane because that NEVER happens.

JDMRoma

Well I have changed my plans, was only going to ski on Sunday but ! Decided to not go into work tomorrow and head north instead ! Heading to Bretton Woods Friday and Saturday, Burke on Sunday ....Boom got the powder skis ready to roll !

bdfreetuna

Edit-what about Bershire East? I've never been there but assume it would be good times on Saturday. It also looks like southern vt is gonna get it but aside from maybe Magic it will be a junk show at places like mount snow (as always on the weekend). What is Bromley like?

Berkshire East is my plan for Saturday... or maybe even tomorrow. Great mountain and steep enough to enjoy deep snow. Rarely does the mountain get crowded, and the won't ruin the powder with grooming tractors

Magic possibly Sunday I want them to drop all their ropes and I'd rather Sunday crowds over Saturday/POW crowds.

bheemsoth

Berkshire East is my plan for Saturday... or maybe even tomorrow. Great mountain and steep enough to enjoy deep snow. Rarely does the mountain get crowded, and the won't ruin the powder with grooming tractors

Magic possibly Sunday I want them to drop all their ropes and I'd rather Sunday crowds over Saturday/POW crowds.

I'm not sure the Saturday crowds will be too bad. I think the road conditions in the flatlands will keep many away until later in the day.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

twinplanx

Hunter Friday, maybe Plattekill saturday if they get hit..if not..just stay at Hunter and avoid the crowds..then off to K Sunday...

Hey just made arrangements to be at K Sunday myself. I don't know my way around there to well, but if you want to meet up let me know...

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

jrmagic

I'm not sure the Saturday crowds will be too bad. I think the road conditions in the flatlands will keep many away until later in the day.

Not so sure I agree with you. Many Magic regulars will be hitting the road early tomorrow and those that don't are likely to hit the road Sat morning. Since they have passes they wont mind hitting the hill for the late morning/afternoon. Add in the powder hounds and it will be a full house. Im not trying to dissuade you from going but expect some lines from 11-2 to get pretty big if we are in the jackpot range.

Im stuck working Saturday night so I will be hitting Magic Sunday and possibly Monday as well.

Tin

Anyone check out Crotched's FB page? That's where I will be camped from tomorrow until Sunday. Can't beat that for $69.

abc

My company decided to block alpinezone a week ago! :( Why can't they wait till spring??? ;-) (they block all URL starting with "forum".whatever)

So, I'm missing all the self-confessed jonsing fun, and also missed the latest discussion. My options are shut out just like my access to the web site. I was at my mothers last night so I'm not packed yet. That means I can't really head over to NH spend the night tonight, even though I can work from anywhere tomorrow...

So I'm going to trust the forecast is right and the cats will get a good 10"+. That should open up all the trails at Platty Saturday. I have no experience on wind effect on its lift but I'm close enough I can check their condition on the way and if need be, change direction (or reverse track and go home to sleep if every mountain is on wind hold).

In the rare event that the cats get totally skunked, I also have the option to go to Jiminy, similar distance away. In fact, the only reason I haven't been there has been the Cats always have as much, if not more snow. But if this be the case, I can always make it a first.

I've never been impressed by the snow quality of coastal storms (nor'easter). So for me, it's just snow. Natural snow, welcome kind of snow. But the exact number of inches, I can't quite get excited about. So until I'm proven wrong, I'm not hugely motivated to chase the highest snow amount... in this case in NH.

That's for Saturday. I can repeat it on Sunday. Or head up further north. Gore, Pico, Bretton Woods are on my list.