• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where will you be on Saturday morning?

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
At the end of yesterday, when the Burlington NWS map had me in the 10-14 inch band, I was thinking I would just go to Burke.
Then yesterday evening the Fairbanks Museum meteo guys weren't very bullish on the totals for the central NEK (shadowing by the whites, etc). They were predicting 4-10".
Then this morning, the NWS folllowed suit and downgraded almost all of N VT :sad:.

So right now I have a list of places I'm keeping an eye on.
I'm bringing my regular alpine setup and my touring setup (just in case winds are an issue).

(* denotes places I've never skied)

Magic* - Could be flirting with 20+ inches but also could be overrun by powder hungry hoards. And with expected road conditions could be a 2.5 hour+ drive.

Wildcat* (1.5 hours) - Could also be flirting with 20" but again could be overrun by powder hungry hoards and potentially have wind issues.

Attitash* (1.5 hours) - Could also be flirting with 20" and is nice and steep in a lot of places. More resistant to wind than Wildcat?

Black Mtn, NH* (1 hour 40 min)- Could also be flirting with 20". Is "small" but looks like a lot of fun. Potentially uncrowded. Looks like it faces away from the expected NW winds.

Cannon (40 min) - in the 14" band but it is closer and I know it fairly well. May have wind issues.

Where are YOU going?

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
.Black Mtn, NH* (1 hour 40 min)- Could also be flirting with 20". Is "small" but looks like a lot of fun. Potentially uncrowded. Looks like it faces away from the expected NW winds.

Also much much cheaper than any other place nearby, if that matters to you.

It looks like my family plans for Sat got cancelled due to the storm, so I'm going to try and be at Black.

timm

Leaving tonight so I am basically deciding between staying in the Stratton/Mt. Snow/Magic area (and then AM decision about which one to hit each day) or staying in N Conway and hitting Black/Attitash/Wildcat. Can stay cheaper in VT and would love to ski Magic (never have), but also more worried about crowds, like you.

ScottySkis

I want to go To Gore on Saturday and ski free Sunday with my pricechopper pass, or I might hit up my favorite in the Catskills, but not sure if my car will be happy with me.

BenedictGomez

I'm worried about the wind through much of New England on Saturday and have an out-of-consensus call.

This could go tragically wrong, but I'm thinking Poconos for Saturday (Shawnee). The storm will be well moved-on, so wind will not be an issue, and they should pick up 5" to 10".

I'm just not very experienced with Pocono Saturdays to begin with or how many more people will attend a Pocono powder day than a regular Saturday. OR, maybe there will be FEWER people since the NYC hoards will be unable to descend because of the roads?

Sunday, however, I'm thinking Plattekill.

BenedictGomez

Upon running a wind model for Saturday at 12pm, my Poconos hypothesis may be flawed.

uvpnuuvv05412000.gif

ScottySkis

I'm worried about the wind through much of New England on Saturday and have an out-of-consensus call.

This could go tragically wrong, but I'm thinking Poconos for Saturday (Shawnee). The storm will be well moved-on, so wind will not be an issue, and they should pick up 5" to 10".

I'm just not very experienced with Pocono Saturdays to begin with or how many more people will attend a Pocono powder day than a regular Saturday. OR, maybe there will be FEWER people since the NYC hoards will be unable to descend because of the roads?

Sunday, however, I'm thinking Plattekill.
Elk on Saturday slow chairs less wind holds.

Cannonball

At the end of yesterday, when the Burlington NWS map had me in the 10-14 inch band, I was thinking I would just go to Burke.
Then yesterday evening the Fairbanks Museum meteo guys weren't very bullish on the totals for the central NEK (shadowing by the whites, etc). They were predicting 4-10".
Then this morning, the NWS folllowed suit and downgraded almost all of N VT :sad:.

So right now I have a list of places I'm keeping an eye on.
I'm bringing my regular alpine setup and my touring setup (just in case winds are an issue).

(* denotes places I've never skied)

Magic* - Could be flirting with 20+ inches but also could be overrun by powder hungry hoards. And with expected road conditions could be a 2.5 hour+ drive.

Wildcat* (1.5 hours) - Could also be flirting with 20" but again could be overrun by powder hungry hoards and potentially have wind issues.

Attitash* (1.5 hours) - Could also be flirting with 20" and is nice and steep in a lot of places. More resistant to wind than Wildcat?

Black Mtn, NH* (1 hour 40 min)- Could also be flirting with 20". Is "small" but looks like a lot of fun. Potentially uncrowded. Looks like it faces away from the expected NW winds.

Cannon (40 min) - in the 14" band but it is closer and I know it fairly well. May have wind issues.

Where are YOU going?

Yup, yup, yup. I am in basically the exact same boat as you with similar drive times and decisions to make. Here's some input on your choices, plus some added thinking and questions on my decisions:

I will be in Lincoln, NH by tomorrow AM.

Cannon: I have a pass, know it very well, and dying for a good day this season. I think wind holds are highly likely. And even if they aren't, it will be a mob scene and track out faster than almost any other mtn. Last year's well predicted Saturday storm was mobbed before opening bell.

Wildcat: Basically the same as Cannon...but worse in terms of wind holds. So few lift options at WC and so likely that the HSQ will shut down that I wouldn't even consider it.

Black: I'm personally not driving over there from Lincoln. But if you're considering it I recommend keeping it on the table. Coming from Burke you will feel at home. Small, without a lot of sustained pitch, but steep in spots, fun trees, and nice trails. Slow lifts keep traffic down and pow preservation high. Mostly wind protected.

Attitash...I don't like...so I'll substitute Bretton Woods: Does really well with wind. Lots' of lift options. Doesn't get the powder mobs. Fun trees. Lack of pitch is the huge downside. If this hits big you will literally get stuck in your tracks. On a snowboard it can be deadly. Could be fun on Sunday for leftover hits. (I can ski 1/2 price there so considering it)

Loon & Waterville: Not my top choices by any means. But Loon South Peak is 5 minute walk from my house. If Cannon has wind holds I may be tempted to hit Loon. The biggest knock on Loon is the crowds. But they storm may keep some travelers away and South Peak tends to get less traffic. Great sustained pith there for long runs that could be a blast with 12". WV ( can ski 1/2 price) and it might handle the winds. Then again I probably won't choose to drive 40min for WV over Loon.

Then there's earning it. At gear ready to go. Doing some work on the wife's split board today. might end up being the best option.

snoseek

I bet Gunstock gets dumped, for real. Unfortunately with that (potential...antijinx) amount of snow you need somewhere with a good sustained pitch.

Black could be pretty sweet, cheap, minimal crowds but has plenty of flattish sections (along with some not so flat stuff)

Attitash....For the most part I don't like it here and think its way overpriced but it has the right pitch to ski pow. Not a bad call.

Wildcat will be too windy I bet. I would rather hit that on Sunday AFTER everyone uncovers the boulders on the good stuff.

Cannon. NW winds with this storm right? That could def effect lifts there.

Shawnee peak. Likely get a good crowd from Portland but great sustained pitch and night skiing if you don't want to end your day

Abram. Yeah that will be good times for sure!

SR. Plenty of crowding, certain lifts will be closed by wind maybe but if you know where to go...

I would personally wait as late as possible to make the call but thats just me. You can always score a room somewhere.

For me I'll be skiing an epic 3-7 inch dump on eastern style hard packed. This is one of those times that I'm truly jealous for you east coasters, go get some, snap lots of pics. I'm rooting for base as I'll be finishing out my spring season there and would like a little something to ski on.

Edit-what about Bershire East? I've never been there but assume it would be good times on Saturday. It also looks like southern vt is gonna get it but aside from maybe Magic it will be a junk show at places like mount snow (as always on the weekend). What is Bromley like?

Last edited:

kingslug

Hunter Friday, maybe Plattekill saturday if they get hit..if not..just stay at Hunter and avoid the crowds..then off to K Sunday...

Puck it

iPad will be mounted up in the truck to monitor the status. Hopefully, I will know something before the 89/93 junction.

BenedictGomez

I'm going to play it by ear, but if it's as windy as it may be, I might just enjoy Saturday snowshoeing with the gf in country fields if NJ does get 8" to 11".

Sunday is going to be the "cant miss, perfect weather and conditions, sunny skies" day anyway. Still thinking Plattekill, BUT the western snow cutoffs on this storm will be huge, so if Platty gets 10" and Windham gets 18", I'll be at Windham.

Smellytele

iPad will be mounted up in the truck to monitor the status. Hopefully, I will know something before the 89/93 junction.

Not sure if you knew this but it is against the law in NH to have a computer on in the front seat of a vehicle. But since GPS's came out they don't enforce it much.

timm

I would personally wait as late as possible to make the call but thats just me. You can always score a room somewhere.

In general I agree but I get employee rates at some brands so if I book today I pay like $25-$50, vs double or triple that if I fly by the seat of my pants unfortunately.

kingslug

I'm going to play it by ear, but if it's as windy as it may be, I might just enjoy Saturday snowshoeing with the gf in country fields if NJ does get 8" to 11".

Sunday is going to be the "cant miss, perfect weather and conditions, sunny skies" day anyway. Still thinking Plattekill, BUT the western snow cutoffs on this storm will be huge, so if Platty gets 10" and Windham gets 18", I'll be at Windham.
I would be amazed if Windham gets more but who knows..Platt gets that lake effect...

BenedictGomez

I would be amazed if Windham gets more but who knows..Platt gets that lake effect...

Platty normally gets more snow, but remember, this is generally speaking going to be a "better east" storm, and Windham is a good 22'ish miles east of Plattekill. I hope not, but it could make a big difference. Then again, there is the energy coming from the west too, so..... as you said, who knows.

skifree

latest report has southern greens getting dumped on! 36+

JSHSKI

Costanza storm: do the opposite of normal

It seems the best dumps will hit Mt. Snow, Wachusett, and Sunapee. Further north less unfortunately. I will miss fresh tracks on Sat and Ski in the sun on Sunday. Have a great time where ever you go everyone!:grin:

BenedictGomez

That I'm guessing must be derived from the NAM. I sure hope that happens, (it also puts 26 - 32 inches in the Cats) but I'm not buying it. I will do cartwheels if it happens!

Huck_It_Baby

I was just seeing this too. It's so hard to know whats really going to happen.

I was hoping to do Jay or Smuggs since I am only an hour+- from them but it looks like there isn't going to be tons of love up here.

Southern VT is more driving than I was hoping but compared to most people on this board I have it easy I suppose. 2 hours to Killington but I don't want the crowds.

I have never skiing Mad River. Everyone says it's best to hit on a powder day but I'm not sure if they have any base? I would have to assume a Saturday powder day at MRG is pretty crowded, no?

Starting to contemplate a run over to NH for one of the days.