• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

TRAVEL BAN -- Mass and CT

Bene288

2' of snow in Boston and metro used to be kind of a normal occurrence. Didn't happen every single winter, but it wasn't so rare that they shut down the whole state! I think they're more concerned over the winds than the snow. I remember when I lived in the city we got 18" of snow and 1" of ice and the T didn't even shut down all of the way..

bdfreetuna

Wachusett is closing at 4:00 due to travel ban ^^

Well that's great so everyone leaving at 4:00 on the roads just after that risks a huge fine / possible jail?

Let's be clear if somebody happens to be on probation or has prior offenses-- if they find themselves out in the snow tonight for whatever reason (maybe they never heard about the ban or have some odd kind of job.. whatever), they are going to get screwed.

Yeah I guess I have 1 hour and 15 minutes to get out of state... which is just enough time to pack and get to VT in this weather. But I have obligations here this weekend and grabbing a hotel out of state for a few days to ski isn't in the budget right now.

So I will ski tomorrow if they let me... Sunday definitely... and take Monday off for Magic.

I will say it's pretty hard to stop my Subaru in the snow.. if I had a lesser car I wouldn't even attempt to drive it. But AWD is the difference between not being able to drive at all and being able to move along just fine. Of course you need to be careful and check your speed.

But saying nobody on the roads OR JAIL is over the top IMO.

goldsbar

Welcome to another problem with living in the Northeast. It snows almost as much in the flatlands as it does in the mountains. This isn't SLC where you get a dusting in the city and 2' up top. With all the population we have, the total lack of driver skill combined with rampant aggressive driving behavior, can't say I blame them.

It doesnt' help that every local TV station makes a huge deal out of a relatively routine occurance...

thetrailboss

Staff member
Welcome to another problem with living in the Northeast. It snows almost as much in the flatlands as it does in the mountains. This isn't SLC where you get a dusting in the city and 2' up top. With all the population we have, the total lack of driver skill combined with rampant aggressive driving behavior, can't say I blame them.

It doesnt' help that every local TV station makes a huge deal out of a relatively routine occurance...

I'm from VT originally, so yes, I know what it is like but I don't agree with the generalization that it snows as much in the flatlands as in the mountains.

I agree with folks here that have said that this has become overkill. I agree also that folks no longer have common sense or take responsibility for themselves. You can't legislate against stupidity. In fact, efforts like this have an opposite effect in the long term. That is because folks will become conditioned to the state closing the roads and making decisions for them rather than folks making that determination on their own. Folks will say in other situations, "gee, the state didn't tell me that the roads were dangerous" when they get in trouble in one inch of snow.

SLC: we actually have about a foot of snow on the ground here in the valley. Additionally, I-15 and I-80 have some really bad weather and driving conditions on a regular basis, both down low and up high, but especially on the main route from SLC up to Park City. That said, the state does not "close" the roads, but does advise drivers of weather and driving conditions and folks generally heed the warning.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member

The fact that the NWS had to tell folks that the storm was "real" and the concerns were legitimate demonstrate that the media hype does a major disservice to folks and that people are really conditioned to not believe what they hear. That's sad.

jrmagic

Im not in favor of bans but people really have gotten dumber. By and large this crowd is experienced in winter driving conditions but many are not and ASSume that their AWD/4WD can do anything and can get through anything. I cringe when I see some of these people doing 55 around a fairly sharp bend on a highway with an inch of packed snow on it and wonder why they couldn't maintain traction. It's the idiots that get stranded that block roads and worse idiots that require rescue from said roads that both delay and burden emergency resources. In short theres just way too many clueless assholes out there that ruin it for the rest of us.

bheemsoth

I'm legit concerned about the Keene -> Magic trip tomorrow morning. This is my first time in a while driving the backroads of VT while a storm is still going on? What can I expect? I do have a 4wd truck, but that's obviously not a cure-all. I think our plan will be to leave early (6:30) and just take our time.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I was going to say, how did they close a bridge that no longer exists?

Ha! I didn't even notice it was for just a shuttle. That's even better. I was really just highlighting the difference between MA, CT and NH. It's a good thing the bridge is closed if it not there though. :dunce:

abc

I disagree people are getting soft. People were just as dumb before as they're now. Or rather, there were dumb people all along.

I remember living in Michigan, a place where it snow a lot and most people do know how to drive on snow. Yet, after every storm, you see cars all over the highway, in the ditch! People were no smarter back then.

I'm not in favor of goverment telling me how NOT to be stupid. But there comes a point someone else's stupidity impacts other people.

So, I don't quite get the ban on the entire state thing. But I do get the ban around population center such as Boston. More people == more clueless people == more accident. The municipality can't afford to have a large number of accidents blocking the roads.

farlep99

Ed Rendell, former governor of PA & mayor of Philly: "We're becoming a nation of wusses."

Couldn't agree more.

dmc

Was waiting to deplane yesterday - standing next to the pilot.. Talking about a little kid sleeping on the floor in first class and how i used to sleep on the floor of my parents car and how it would be illegal today... Pilot said "me too! And look... Somehow we survived."...

good dude.. and true..

But lately I worry more about others than I worry about myself..

Cannonball

He's the Gov, he has to be diplomatic. What he's really saying is:
"Look, we've got a big job ahead of us tonight. Y'all are going bitch about every little way in which we could have cleaned it up better. So I'm telling you right now get the F*** off the roads, stay inside enjoying a cocktail, and let these guys do their job. They are gonna go hard and fast with big ass equipment. If your little POS car is in the way cuz you needed to go get skim milk and fruit loops it's on you for F'ing up the clean up. We warned you."

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Did you hear that? It was the collective gasp of every ski area owner and operator in New England following by a collective shout of "F Me!" Seriously disastrous for ski areas that their primary customers can't get in their cars and go. Sunday is going to be a shit show to end all shit shows. Seems somewhat extreme.