• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf - AlpineZone Summit 4.0

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Much more to come, but today was a great day. Definitely some dust-on-crust, but in many places the powder overcame it, and with refreshes of snow all day was awesome. Made turns with dozens of AZ'ers. I will be posting lots of pics, videos, and more in the coming days.

img.jpg

Some pics, all from Sunday because Saturday was too damn cold / windy to break out the camera, although I do have gopro footage.

IMG_0865.JPG

Ski Stef and vdk03

IMG_0868.JPG

Welcome party. It was PACKED!

IMG_0869.JPG

bvibert quote: "Shots are my favorite"

IMG_0874.JPG

vdk03's brother. He was out of commission Sunday morning. Partied hard!

IMG_0875.JPG

Heading up for first tracks

IMG_08761.JPG

View from the Superquad unloading station

IMG_08772.JPG

View up to the snowfields

IMG_08781.JPG

Sunday was a crystal clear morning

IMG_08791.JPG

Just awesome conditions, soft snow

IMG_08851.JPG

bvibert in brackett basin

IMG_08872.JPG

The cruise out of brackett

IMG_0889.JPG

Skyline

IMG_0892.JPG

allskiing under Skyline

IMG_0893.JPG

bvibert coming down Spillway

IMG_08981.JPG

Gondola line, maybe?

IMG_09021.JPG

small stump hop in Brackett

IMG_08881.JPG

Freshies in Brackett with the Loaf in the background

More pics are also up on the AlpineZone Instagram page that I took from my phone

http://instagram.com/alpinezn

rocojerry

loaf sat

king pine- get er while shes on
8460197070_2d23a2f782_b.jpg

kid kid kid on winters way
8459094359_4f1507826f_b.jpg

low angle glades
8460196860_104ac218f7_b.jpg

superquad on hold

first run whiffletreee/king pine, hit misery whip to start er off… wanted to hit Flume to start, roped off… didn't tempt it.

king pine off

whiffletree, king pine on, RIPSAW.

frostbite signs, ramdown or old winters to the lodge…

back out there, whiffletree/kingpine haulback. fantastic.

Spillway, wow. mid winters way -- nice and soft, bumped up.

lunch at the condo -- back out there, few whiffletree runs helping to teach snowboarding, found some low angle glades…

snagged my first tracks pass, and back out for a few more.

Double bitter. getting close to last chair, so almost went top to bottom….

and the last run, Sluice to boardwalk…

Widowmaker and beyond ensue.

Bram! upload some of that ripsaw gopro goodness....

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Re: Sugarloaf - AlpineZone Summit

Hope u make it one of these years warp. The loaf is an amazing place. For any AZ members here, get your asses to the widow maker. Sly chi is going on soon. Kick ass funk band from Portland. Will be a helluva party. If I don't see u there I'll c u at the lift 730 sharp tomorrow for 1st tracks. Gonna b another epic day!

Cornhead

What an incredible day at the Loaf! I went from thinking there was no way much would be open, what with all the hyperbole surrounding this storm, to the disappointment of waking to 3" in my motel parking lot overnight. I would say the Loaf got at least a foot between yesterday, last night, and today, it snowed all day today. Looking forward to an awesome day tomorrow.

IMG_20130209_122614.jpg

ScottySkis

Re: Sugarloaf - AlpineZone Summit

What an incredible day at the Loaf! I went from thinking there was no way much would be open, what with all the hyperbole surrounding this storm, to the disappointment of waking to 3" in my motel parking lot overnight. I would say the Loaf got at least a foot between yesterday, last night, and today, it snowed all day today. Looking forward to an awesome day tomorrow.

View attachment 7633
Looking at perfection, enjoy it !!!:):beer::thumbup::):beer::thumbup::cool::)

bdfreetuna

Dooood those trees look nice!

Are the snowfields open?

Hope you guys have a blast. Wish I could have made it this year. I hope to budget my time more accordingly in the future.

And... damnnn those trees look good!

JimG.

Staff member
Rumor has it snowfields will open tomorrow.

Our plan is to hit Brackett Basin early...almost 100% open according to website now.

As disappointing as my first summit was 4 years ago, this one more than makes up for it. 2 days of awesome skiing and terrain and another day to go tomorrow.

Going to bed in a few minutes...best skiing of the season so far.

The AZ summit curse is hereby lifted!

Terry

Sorry we couldn't make it but we were slaying 2 feet of fresh pow at Shawnee Peak all day yesterday. It was the best ski day in years! Found drifts that were waste deep in places! Guess we gotta do it again today. Have fun and we will make it one of these years.

Warp Daddy

Hope u make it one of these years warp. The loaf is an amazing place.

Thanks DHS i,m sure of a couple of things 1 Loaf is awesome , 2luv to meet u young guns ,3 u young snots would BURY this ole fart in the woods but i could hang on the pistes and 4 . Could do a serious grooooove on that funkadelic chit !!

Enjoy , go MAKE memories !!!

Warp Daddy

Now all thatsaid above dont feel bad for me , me and queenie been slaying pow here too , heading out again today to get more of that 18 inche goodness , Rage on Boyz !

Cornhead

Thank God for first tracks, thanks Nick, got down to the Super Quad at 8:32, it was mobbed, none of them could get to the hill Saturday. They did open the Timberline Quad to the summit in the afternoon, did anyone else make it to the top yesterday? I found some nice low angle glades off this chair, but was humbled by the classes of kids flying by me in there!

IMG_20130210_141011.jpg

IMG_20130210_141003.jpg

IMG_20130210_140413.jpg

IMG_20130210_145140.jpg
Some nice wide open birches between trails.

IMG_20130210_102240-1.jpg
Hard to tell, Tele-Tubies loading the Whiffletree

wa-loaf

What a great weekend. Saturday was ski on the lifts all day and dumping snow whole time. Sunday first tracks and then few trips to the far reaches of Bracket for some knee to thigh deep shots! Didn't really stop to take many pics. Especially on Saturday. I gotta go through them and see whats good, though it will probably be more of what's already been posted.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I have a lot to post. Will take me some time to get through it all. I filled my memory card with video on the gopro so I have to cut it up. What a great variety of conditions this weekend, we had everything from snow to sunshine, groomers to pow, glades to bumps.