• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Enjoying Closed runs on days with big dumps.

steamboat1

I went to the ticket window first to try & get a voucher for another day since I just started skiing. Told the girl I just started & got hurt. She's the one that told me my face was bleeding, I had no idea. Anyway had no problem getting a voucher for another day. Even though I had used a Vt. Pass to get a ticket.

dmc

^ I agree with this as well, if you are a ducking a rope, you are essentially saying I am now on my own and do not expect to be rescued. If you are willing to take your safety into your own hands and take the liability of what may happen, then I see no problem with doing it.

So if your incapacitated - a ski area is supposed to leave you there and not take the risk of getting you?
Should they wait for you to die? Let the buzzards pick your bones..?

steamboat1

Not really feeling better. Hurts even more today. When you 1st injure yourself things go numb. Today the numbness is gone leaving only the pain. Saw my friend this morning who is a sports medicine doctor. The ankle is broken but he couldn't find anything wrong with the knee (maybe I just bruised the bone because it still hurts). Anyway I'm wearing a boot to keep the ankle in place & having a hard time hobbling around on crutches. Probably be out at least 4-6 weeks. Don't think I'll be ducking ropes again anytime soon.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Swift healing steamboat1. That's a real bummer.

Which bone in your ankle did you fracture?

Lucky that you will only require a boot for the bone to heal. I had two patients yesterday who had completely cracked off their medial malleolus of their tibia combined with spiral fractures of their fibula. Both were looking at several screws and at least six months (probably closer to nine months) before sports participation again.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Not really feeling better. Hurts even more today. When you 1st injure yourself things go numb. Today the numbness is gone leaving only the pain. Saw my friend this morning who is a sports medicine doctor. The ankle is broken but he couldn't find anything wrong with the knee (maybe I just bruised the bone because it still hurts). Anyway I'm wearing a boot to keep the ankle in place & having a hard time hobbling around on crutches. Probably be out at least 4-6 weeks. Don't think I'll be ducking ropes again anytime soon.

Wish you a quick recovery. However at the same time, I do have to say, I've seen open trails where the same could have happened.

Huck_It_Baby

Wow very sorry to hear this. I can't believe you drove home with a broken ankle!
=(

steamboat1

Wow very sorry to hear this. I can't believe you drove home with a broken ankle!
=(
Everyone in my family says the same thing. Actually wasn't to bad. It was harder getting to the car from the base lodge & then getting into my house than the drive was. I once drove home with two broken wrists (& other injuries)after hitting a tree. My wife was with me that time. Shows how little faith I have in her driving abilities.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. Hoping to be back towards the end of March.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Sorry to hear that, Steamboat. Get better. Have to ask though--why not seek immediate medical attention there rather than enduring the long drive home and risking an accident or making things worse?

steamboat1

Swift healing steamboat1. That's a real bummer.

Which bone in your ankle did you fracture?

Lucky that you will only require a boot for the bone to heal. I had two patients yesterday who had completely cracked off their medial malleolus of their tibia combined with spiral fractures of their fibula. Both were looking at several screws and at least six months (probably closer to nine months) before sports participation again.
I don't recall the name of the bone but it's the small one on the right looking at the X- Ray. He called me back in this morning & put a hard cast on. He also scheduled me for an MRI to check out my knee which still hurts.

C-Rex

I see poaching as being akin to riding side or back country. It's at your own risk. You eat it, and you're on your own. Don't expect anyone to come rescue you, especially without it costing you mad duckets. If you accept that and are prepared for that possibility then I see no problem with it.

jrmagic

Everyone in my family says the same thing. Actually wasn't to bad. It was harder getting to the car from the base lodge & then getting into my house than the drive was. I once drove home with two broken wrists (& other injuries)after hitting a tree. My wife was with me that time. Shows how little faith I have in her driving abilities.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. Hoping to be back towards the end of March.

Ugh that sucks.... guess I wont see you at Smuggs. Heal up and hope for a long spring season.

NESnow&Golf

Sometimes you have to use your judgement.... if you think it's safe and you trust your experiance go for it.... as someone said before things are closed for different reasons... sometimes just to preserve the base... I've skied paradise at Mad River Glen in conditions any other mountian would have had ropes up in. Their motto is ski it if you can I think that's my policy

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Sometimes you have to use your judgement.... if you think it's safe and you trust your experiance go for it.... as someone said before things are closed for different reasons... sometimes just to preserve the base... I've skied paradise at Mad River Glen in conditions any other mountian would have had ropes up in. Their motto is ski it if you can I think that's my policy

Judgement rules. Welcome to the boards NE Snow & Golf!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I don't recall the name of the bone but it's the small one on the right looking at the X- Ray. He called me back in this morning & put a hard cast on. He also scheduled me for an MRI to check out my knee which still hurts.

Damn; sorry to hear about your injury ... hope all heals quickly.