• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Toenails and ski boots

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
So, prior to the summit I neglected to trim up the toenails. While they weren't crazy long, they were long enough that I was getting pain in my big toes, particularly on my right boot, during the weekend at the loaf.

On Sunday, I went over a small 3 or 4' huck in Brackett Basin and landed, and my toe just jammed to the front of my boot, and pushed the nail back. While it didn't fall off or anything, the entire bottomside of the nail is black and blue.

Anyone else have this happen? is this simply a function of my nails being too long; or is it an indicator of needing some adjustments on my boots?

jrmagic

Classic toe bang. It will likely fall off in a few weeks. its probably just the result of untrimmed nails. How many days do you have on your liners and how much wiggle room do you have?

drjeff

My 9yr old daughter calls the toe bang discolored nail "6 month toe nail polish" :)

That would be my left big toe right now. Damage ""inflicted" about 3 weeks prior to getting my new boots ;)

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Classic toe bang. It will likely fall off in a few weeks. its probably just the result of untrimmed nails. How many days do you have on your liners and how much wiggle room do you have?

These boots probably have about 20 days on them (Dalbello Kyrpton Cross Ti) - they are intuition liners and were heat molded at the shop (Suburban Ski in CT)

Little wiggle room - my toe definitely is pressed up against the front of the liner. I actually skied Saturday with some demo Full Tilt boots which were much tighter - those were killing me, so I went back to the Dalbellos which fit just a touch looser. The Full Tilt's actually felt like i had to curl my big toe over to make it fit.

HowieT2

yuck! hate when that happens. its from banging the toe on the top of the boot. I haven't had it since I got new boots 3 seasons ago. no big deal except it will look fugly for awhile.

hammer

I've had toe bang even in boots that fit tighter...

Only solution that I know of is to keep toenails (in particular the big toe) short.

May not hurt to also go back to the shop and see if any adjustments are needed to your boots.

powhunter

These boots probably have about 20 days on them (Dalbello Kyrpton Cross Ti) - they are intuition liners and were heat molded at the shop (Suburban Ski in CT)

Little wiggle room - my toe definitely is pressed up against the front of the liner. I actually skied Saturday with some demo Full Tilt boots which were much tighter - those were killing me, so I went back to the Dalbellos which fit just a touch looser. The Full Tilt's actually felt like i had to curl my big toe over to make it fit.

Same thing happened to me last year. Have the crosses as well..Crank down your middle buckle until your foot is really snug..

Steveo

makimono

It's something that will only happen to a skier once...you'll never neglect trimming your toenails again. :idea:

The toenail will probably fall off within the week. When it happened to me the 2nd one that grew in fell off too. It was over a month until I was back to normal.

For the past decade I've kept toenail clippers in my boot bag along with the screwdrivers, boot parts etc. just in case...

legalskier

Ouch :sad:

BlackToenails_0.jpg

bvibert

Staff member
Nick, you should have brought one of these along on the trip with you:
Mr-Skill-Makita-Angle-Grinder.jpg

That should help keep the toe nails under control...

JimG.

Staff member
I ski the Krypton's too and had the same issue for the first 2 seasons. The boots were refitted 3 times and blown out twice near my right big toe before the problem was resolved.

Oh yeah, in every case of the dreaded black toenail I forgot to trim my toenails high and tight. That alone will get you black toenail guaranteed!

twinplanx

It's something that will only happen to a skier once...you'll never neglect trimming your toenails again. :idea:

The toenail will probably fall off within the week. When it happened to me they 2nd one that grew in fell off too. It was over a month until I was back to normal.

For the past decade I've kept toenail clippers in my boot bag along with the screwdrivers, boot parts etc. just in case...
+1 its just not worth the $.99 to risk making this mistake twice. Nail clippers, in the bag...
Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

ScottySkis

I have used a electric saw to trim my toe nails. Their hard as rocks, also fine a bathtub soaking helps with making it easier to cut the nails. I like to take medicine to stop them from growing because I hate my toe nails.