• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

3 day trip Cannon, Smuggs, Jay 2/10-2/12

tomcat

Website
tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com
Started Sunday at Cannon. The 18 inches they got covered the place nicely. It was a beautiful bluebird day and no wind. Everything that was open was well covered. Even with the crowds everything stayed soft for the most part. Best runs were front 5 which never skied off. Cannonball Quad was a little backed up running only 3 per chair. Tram backed up over bridge mid morning.

Smuggs Monday the 11th. Started with Madonna and Sterling spinning. I got one trip on Madonna. Second time up they unloaded at midstation and closed it rest of day. Sterling was scratchy and wind blown. Light snow fell but didn't amount to much. I think I hit everything that was open. Lots of bare patches. Only glad I saw open was Highlander which was still pretty powdery/ a few bare patches. Made it down Exhibition which had some rough spots but passable. Rough wind.

Jay Tuesday. POW snowed all day. At least 6 inches through mid day. Everything skied nice. Tram and Flyer were on hold but Flyer opened around noon. Woods were awesome with lots of untracked spots. Best runs were Can AM first thing in morning with sweet deep powder. JFK in afternoon was protected from wind and skied awesome with completely untracked pow. Kitzbuhl and Timbuktu were awesome tree runs although they all ran nice. Truly an awesome day, one of my best ever. After 20 hours of skiing in 3 days, especially after Jay's Pow, My legs are spent. They were on fire by early afternoon at Jay

I have a few pics and a few other details on my blog http://tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com/2013/02/three-day-ski-trip-in-vermont-and-new.html

ScottySkis

Started Sunday at Cannon. The 18 inches they got covered the place nicely. It was a beautiful bluebird day and no wind. Everything that was open was well covered. Even with the crowds everything stayed soft for the most part. Best runs were front 5 which never skied off. Cannonball Quad was a little backed up running only 3 per chair. Tram backed up over bridge mid morning.

Smuggs Monday the 11th. Started with Madonna and Sterling spinning. I got one trip on Madonna. Second time up they unloaded at midstation and closed it rest of day. Sterling was scratchy and wind blown. Light snow fell but didn't amount to much. I think I hit everything that was open. Lots of bare patches. Only glad I saw open was Highlander which was still pretty powdery/ a few bare patches. Made it down Exhibition which had some rough spots but passable. Rough wind.

Jay Tuesday. POW snowed all day. At least 6 inches through mid day. Everything skied nice. Tram and Flyer were on hold but Flyer opened around noon. Woods were awesome with lots of untracked spots. Best runs were Can AM first thing in morning with sweet deep powder. JFK in afternoon was protected from wind and skied awesome with completely untracked pow. Kitzbuhl and Timbuktu were awesome tree runs although they all ran nice. Truly an awesome day, one of my best ever. After 20 hours of skiing in 3 days, especially after Jay's Pow, My legs are spent. They were on fire by early afternoon at Jay

I have a few pics and a few other details on my blog http://tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com/2013/02/three-day-ski-trip-in-vermont-and-new.html

Nice job getting the goods. I like your hotel and can also recommend hotel Accord, although can be bit chilly at night with only a 40 degree sleeping bag when it is -10 outside. We need to make a portable heater that runs on battery or could be charged.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Nice report! Glad Cannon didn't get skied off, the front side last year when I went was hurting by EOD but they didn't have nearly the snow we've had this year.