• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Week of Feb 17 to 23rd. President's Week

Huck_It_Baby

I just came down from a skin on the Western side of Mt. Mansfield and it was snowing super hard! I was there for just short of 3 hours and it snowed 2-3 inches while I was there.

A winter wonderland. Trees growing on top of rocks and such.

2013-02-20_16-34-14_953.jpg

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Joe Bastardi tweeted a Euro composite of snowfall over the next 10 days. Pretty impressive.

I'd attach it, but I can't get pics to work on the Android app.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I just came down from a skin on the Western side of Mt. Mansfield and it was snowing super hard! I was there for just short of 3 hours and it snowed 2-3 inches while I was there.

A winter wonderland. Trees growing on top of rocks and such.

that's the good old upslope. could be in the double digits peeps are expecting by tomorrow.
See if you can get out tomorrow too! Glad you got some!

Bene288

I was monitoring the Kmart cams today, trying to stoke up for my trip there tomorrow night. It was snowing pretty hard most of the day. They're reporting 7", which is probably 4-5". Maybe I'll get some powder out of this Thursday - Sunday trip?

BenedictGomez

A winter wonderland.

Stowe just posted the below about a half hour ago.

Stowe Mountain Resort - It is absolutely dumping at the mountain right now. 1-2" per hour. Tomorrow looks promising.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Tim Kelly is wound and wired

F'cast, may not snow Friday.. otherwise it will not stop snowing, we may rival 1969 record snows

http://www.weather.us/showloc.php?type=forec&city=726174

Noyes is chomping too

• Weekend storm is nearly certain for New England. Impact is still a bit uncertain in Maine - a bit more removed from the storm center - but Southern parts of the state will see greatest snowfall.
  • Total snowfall amounts of greater than 6" are likely for much of interior New England
  • There's at least a 50/50 chance that a foot or more of snow will fall in the deep interior
  • A coastal front will develop - separating ocean air from inland air - and the exact location of that front will be the critical factor in determining total snow vs. rain in Eastern and far Southern New England
  • Timeframe: Snow develops southwest to northeast Saturday midday/afternoon...continues through the overnight...ends around midday Sunday
  • Heavy, wet snow means power outage concerns where storm is mostly snow

nelsapbm

NWS Burlington just issued a winter storm warning from now until Thurs 4pm.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 PM EST THURSDAY. THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT. * LOCATIONS...THE WESTERN SLOPES OF THE GREEN MOUNTAINS TO INCLUDE THE WESTERN PORTIONS OF ORLEANS...LAMOILLE AND WASHINGTON COUNTIES. * HAZARD TYPES...MODERATE TO OCCASIONALLY HEAVY SNOW. * ACCUMULATIONS...8 TO 14 INCHES OF DRY FLUFFY SNOW.

ScottySkis

857954_333130600120908_823471303_o.jpg

polski

Website
twitter.com
Anyone here familiar enough with Jay to hazard a guess about wind holds tomorrow? Upper mountain lifts were mostly closed today on W winds that NWS-BTV summits forecast projected to be 25-35 mph during the day and FWIW 35-50 tonight. After midnight winds are supposed to shift to NW, 25-40, and tomorrow NW 20-35. On the Jay site Roger Hill indicates winds would be decreasing tonight/tomorrow but from looking at terrain and trail maps I wonder if NW might pose more of a crosswind threat to at least some of the upper mountain lifts. I really can't tell and have only been to Jay once - appreciate any thoughts.

BenedictGomez

My favorite online met checks in. This guy is usually conservative on snow totals/storms, but he's taking the "Over" on this event in terms of snow, and predicts 12" to 24" for ski country.

low level snow to rain over NJ NYC long Island much of CT RI and eastern Mass. several Inches could fall over southern CT BEFORE the Mix or changeover and most of INTERIOR SE NY will stay all snow or mixed then go back to snow... northern CT all of mass up to Worcester stays all snow as does all of eastern NY NH VT and Maine. 12-24" are POSSIBLE in these areas... and western and central Mass intom southern NH 24"+ is also Possible.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
This weekend looks fun. But what is more enticing is this weekend might be followed by more on Tuesday and then even more next weekend. That is exactly the one, two, three punch we need to get everything back open again and get more off map trees and spicy lines in play.

Anyone here familiar enough with Jay to hazard a guess about wind holds tomorrow? Upper mountain lifts were mostly closed today on W winds that NWS-BTV summits forecast projected to be 25-35 mph during the day and FWIW 35-50 tonight. After midnight winds are supposed to shift to NW, 25-40, and tomorrow NW 20-35. On the Jay site Roger Hill indicates winds would be decreasing tonight/tomorrow but from looking at terrain and trail maps I wonder if NW might pose more of a crosswind threat to at least some of the upper mountain lifts. I really can't tell and have only been to Jay once - appreciate any thoughts.
NW winds are par for the course at Jay. It all depends how strong they are, as always. But I'm sure most lifts will run tomorrow. Doesn't look honking enough to take the Bonnie and Jet off line at least no matter what happens with the Tram and Freezer. Go for it.

BenedictGomez

Is it pathetic that I'm debating staying up till ~1:30 for the Euro to come out?

I feel like a little kid on Christmas eve.
smiley-excited001.gif

BenedictGomez

Imagine how much worse for those of us working in companies which block alpinezone forum! :-(

So the 00z GFS just came out and it quite a bit warmer. It basically moved the R/S line right on top of Plattekill, I **** you not. Close to the Berkshires too if anyone cares about that area. Whatever, it's the GFS. Plus, even with this R/S line it's probably okay, but there'd be virtually no more margin for error if it's correct.

85641310151508480853352.png

EDIT: I just ran the 00z UK and it's getting dicey too with the R/S line. :sad: