• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Week of Feb 17 to 23rd. President's Week

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Hmm. Looks like Yawgoo is going to have another powder day this weekend...

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

hammer

Looks like Wachusett as well provided they don't groom everything out...;-)

Guessing conditions will be fine for the ski vacationers. Have seen some chatter about systems later next week but nothing specific yet.

What's going on with the storm next weekend?

I'm hearing that it's going to sock the midwest then occlude and weaken. Then things might get interesting. A coastal low might develop in association with the storm and ride up the coast in a similar fasion to the December storm according to Bernie "Hype" Rayno.

Weather channel seems to be on board. They already named the storm "Winter Storm Q"
Single chair blog seems to be liking the the set up as well

What are the chances of this thing blowing up on the coast?

BenedictGomez

I'd put pretty low hopes on that storm materializing for the east. Wishing for coastal lows to develop is starting to smack of desperation. Fingers crossed I guess, but this one seems even less likely than some of the ones that did seem plausible and yet didnt pan out.

bheemsoth

Increased talk on AmericanWx about Saturday into Sunday. Since I need to fly out for San Francisco on Sunday morning, I'm sure it will materialize.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

BenedictGomez

Increased talk on AmericanWx about Saturday into Sunday. Since I need to fly out for San Francisco on Sunday morning, I'm sure it will materialize.

I think you mean Sunday into Monday? This is the 00z Euro, which displays a pretty good storm for the Catskills and Poconos (though everybody would get something). Still a ways out, but given it's the Euro, you can at least give it some credence.

The 12z Euro should be coming out literally within the next few minutes. Hopefully this storm still pops up on it.

55993951644127839946321.png

bheemsoth

I think you mean Sunday into Monday? This is the 00z Euro, which displays a pretty good storm for the Catskills and Poconos (though everybody would get something). Still a ways out, but given it's the Euro, you can at least give it some credence.

The 12z Euro should be coming out literally within the next few minutes. Hopefully this storm still pops up on it.

55993951644127839946321.png

I believe the talk this morning was around a storm starting Saturday p.m.. I could be wrong though.

Edit: anyways, Sunday late works well for me since my flight is at 6:30 am.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Saddleback, Loaf and River are in the money

WWUS41 KGYX 190844 WSWGYX URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAY ME 344 AM EST TUE FEB 19 2013 ...

HEAVY SNOW EXPECTED FOR PORTIONS OF THE WESTERN MAINE MOUNTAINS... .DEVELOPING LOW PRESSURE ALONG THE NEW ENGLAND COAST WILL PROMPT HEAVY SNOW TO FALL TONIGHT INTO TOMORROW MORNING MAINLY OVER FRANKLIN AND SOMERSET COUNTIES. SURROUNDING COUNTIES WILL SEE LOWER SNOW TOTALS. MEZ008-009-013-014-191645- /O.NEW.KGYX.WS.W.0003.130220T0000Z-130220T1200Z/ NORTHERN FRANKLIN-CENTRAL SOMERSET-SOUTHERN FRANKLIN- SOUTHERN SOMERSET- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...COBURN GORE...RANGELEY...KINGFIELD... BINGHAM...JACKMAN...FARMINGTON...WILTON...MADISON...SKOWHEGAN... PITTSFIELD

344 AM EST TUE FEB 19 2013 ...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 7 AM EST WEDNESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GRAY HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 7 AM EST WEDNESDAY. *

LOCATIONS...FRANKLIN AND SOMERSET COUNTIES.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...4 TO 8 INCHES.

* TIMING...BEGINNING TONIGHT AND LASTING THROUGH TOMORROW MORNING.

steamboat1

• Tonight Light snow. Low around 19. Windy, with a south wind 24 to 29 mph becoming southwest 15 to 20 mph in the evening. Winds could gust as high as 46 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
  • Wednesday Snow showers likely, mainly after 2pm. Cloudy, with a high near 20. Breezy, with a west wind 17 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 34 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
  • Wednesday Night Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a low around 10. Wind chill values as low as -7. Breezy, with a west wind 20 to 23 mph, with gusts as high as 46 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
  • Thursday Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 24. Wind chill values as low as -6. Windy, with a north wind 20 to 26 mph, with gusts as high as 43 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Stowe forecast