• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

DIN question

newskier

I just brought 2 pairs of skis into a shop to have the bindings adjusted for new boots.
On one pair, they set the heels at a different DIN than the toes.
I questioned them as to why this was and they said it had to do with the machine they use to test the pressure it takes to release the binding--that they use a pressure number based on what the machine says (in conjunction with the data you provide--height, weight, skier type etc). So the end result is that they often send out skis with different DINS, since it's based on what the machine says the pressure is and not what the DIN chart says.
Does this sound plausible? I hate to be paranoid, especially since I already asked them about it and got an explanation, but I'm just not sure . . . .
Thx

Puck it

I have seen this before from the test at shops. It could the forward pressure is not set right which would alter the release strength.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
If I understand correcty, then I had the same or a very similiar experience and the explanation made sense. I was told that after owning and using skis for a while, the springs in the bindings may weakenand as a result you can't trust the din seting on the bindings. This was at Northern Ski works where they have what seems like very good machine that actually tests pressure required for binding to release

goldsbar

This actually makes sense. It's unlikely the binding spring readings are stamped exactly correctly. Springs do weaken over time. I always pop up my rear bindings when storing for more than a day or two and set the bindings to the lowest spring rates over the summer.

Hawkshot99

When a binding is adjusted it is set to what the chart calls for. Then it must be function tested to make sure the tech did the work correct and your binding still works properly. If the test has a high/low number but not to high or low(there are ranges) then it can be adjusted with to get the correct pressure release settings.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

newskier

It was Summit Ski in Framingham.
Well, they should have also adjusted the forward pressure, since my BSL dropped 11mm, so the forward pressure would have definitely needed to be adjusted on the bindings--not just the DIN.
It sounds like a legit explanation--I was just surprised at first that the DINS would be different. I'm going to use the skis the way they set the bindings and hope all is well.

bvibert

Staff member
Sounds fine to me. If you don't trust the shop then bring them to another shop that has the tools to check the release pressure and have them check the first shops work.

wa-loaf

It was Summit Ski in Framingham.
Well, they should have also adjusted the forward pressure, since my BSL dropped 11mm, so the forward pressure would have definitely needed to be adjusted on the bindings--not just the DIN.
It sounds like a legit explanation--I was just surprised at first that the DINS would be different. I'm going to use the skis the way they set the bindings and hope all is well.

Summit is good. I'd trust what they say.