• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

School Vacation Weeks are...

hammer

I thought most other states did one school vacation week around Easter. That's the way it was for me growing up in NJ. Never heard of two vacation weeks until I moved to New England.

College spring break weeks are usually sometime in March IIRC.

Puck it

NH is the week after Mass. When I was young in NY we had both. Mid winter break and Easter.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
A number of public schools in VT have Fridays in the winter as the sports day. One option is to go skiing. If I had known that, I would have persuaded my parents to move to VT!

Smellytele

As noted some of NH is next week. Although some are this week.

My kids got to ski on Monday afternoons for the last 6 weeks. They have this every year. A lot of NH kids have these "SKI SCHOOL PROGRAMS". They get out around 12:30.

drjeff

I thinks some schools here in CT have canceled the week off due to too many storm/snow days already.

Yup, some have cancelled the whole vacation week (it's this week BTW) - those tended to be the districts that lost a week (or more) post Sandy and then some even were closed all last week because of the blizzard. Other districts in CT shortened things from a full week of to just Monday and Tuesday of this week off(the district where my office is), and still others (like my kids school) have the full week off.

CT school vacation week is just in big giant variable this year! ;)

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
A number of public schools in VT have Fridays in the winter as the sports day. One option is to go skiing. If I had known that, I would have persuaded my parents to move to VT!

o3jeff

You're loosing it(or lost it) Billski!

Vortex

When I grew up in vermont we had Friday afternoons off in the winter to ski. It was considered our gym class.

Nh spits the vacation weeks. Some resort towns in Nh take the same week as Mass so there are students and teachers to work the shops, ski related business and hospitality venues.

I took Next week off with my kids for NH vacation week.

Every few years due to the when Christmas falls, More Nh Towns take the same week as Mass as to not make the students go to long without a break. A few Nashua families protested this and got it changed to always be after Mass Vacation week.

slatham

On Long Island we typically have this week - Presidents week - off, but this year we have been "Sandied" and only had Monday off.....

We also get a week (or more) for Easter/Passover, so this year we have off the last week of March (here's to a deep snow pack and good spring skiing!!!)

My Brother-in-law lives in Warren, and they always have the 7 business days off that end on the first Tuesday of March, said Tuesday being "Town Hall Day". So they are off starting next week through March 5th. And yes, his kids have a ski program every Friday afternoon!

Smellytele

Some schools in CT don't get Feb vacation regardless... :smash:

Some NH towns (Manchester for example) had discussion of getting rid of the Feb vacation. It was people who had moved from other states that brought it up. They didn't realize the culture of having the Feb break and how it helped the NH economy. We also have a late April vaca which I would rather get rid than the Feb one. Who wants vaca during black fly and mud season?