• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sutton (QC) - 2/18/2013

snowmonster

Date(s) Skied: 2/18/2013

Resort or Ski Area: Mont Sutton, Quebec

Conditions: -9C; Bluebird; Moderate wind; Cold; Packed Powder and some powder

Trip Report: Day Two of the snowmonster's tour of the Eastern Townships.

With most of the resorts south of the border on windhold, I headed up to Sutton, which is about an hour's drive from Magog. The lodge is a bit rustic and reminded me of Magic. Got a half-day ticket at CAN$52 and started skiing at noon. Only Lift IV (Ouest) was shut down which allowed plenty of exploration.

When I was skiing Bromont the night before, I could see Sutton and it was evident that they were blowing snow. When I got to the moutain, they were still blowing snow on Dynamique, which was the trail right under Lift IV. In fact, they kept blowing snow on that trail the whole day. I guess this is their version of the Jay Cloud. The winds actually blew the snow into the trees which helped make the glades skiable.

I did most of my runs off Lift IV and VII, which served the eastern and more expert terrain on the mountain. Most of the glades were open and I dove into them repeatedly. Most of the marked sous-bois had trees that were widely spaced apart and made for easy cruising. Clearly, this mountain was designed with glade lovers in mind. My favorites included Bou-bou and Entonnoir. Sous-bois IV (A and B) and V were nicely widely spaced and benefited from all that snow blowing around.

In Bou-bou, I decided to jump into some tight trees on skiers' right following a young skier who seemed to know what he was doing. I kept to the high side of the glade while he dove into a natural halfpipe. It was a good call. As I was exiting the glade into Exil (a blue run connecting to Lift VII), I could see the young skier chucking his skis up out of the halfpipe where it had dead-ended. I also jumped into a closed glade off Alleghanys. :) Except for a narrow choke that was a little scraped off, coverage was pretty good. I guess Sutton is a little conservative in closing trails.

I planned on skiing the backside trails ((Fantaisie, Extase and Seduction) but those were closed. I briefly considered jumping in but it was almost 4PM and there was a 1km walk out from those glades so I just decided to enjoy the blue runs on the way back to the lodge.

Overall impression is that Sutton is much like Jay Peak with the number of glades it has. I took some pictures before my IPhone camera froze up.

Bienvenue a Sutton!

Sutton1.jpg

The Sutton Cloud:

Sutton3.jpg

Miracle glades:

Sutton4.jpg

Attachments

• Sutton2.jpg
    Sutton2.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Sutton5.jpg
    Sutton5.jpg