• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Winter Mountain Biking / Ski Biking

SnowRider

Does anyone here ride in the winter? You know the studded tires? Also does anyone here ski bike? I will look for the website but there is this cool think where you exchange your tires with skiis.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Never studded tires but i thought about it - just get some short sheet metal or wood screws that will poke barely above your tread, then line the tire with half an old inner tube.

Makes for a significant increase in rotating mass.

madman

I use studded tires that i got thru Nashbar they work great but i think they only come in 1.95 size.

bruno

i just ride my regular rainy day fendered fixed gear whip. i may put some cyclocross tires on it if it ever snows. which it prolly won't the way things're goin' so far!:flag: :snow: :) :grin: :wink: ;-) :-D

czimborbryan

I ride in the snow and have it down pretty good. I usually ride with a skinny up front to slice through the snow. A fatty rides too much on top and keeps the bike from steering. I also add a little weight to the front and lower the rear tire pressure to about half. Sometimes I load a 20 pound dumbell onto the handlebars for snow between 6 and 12 inches for better steering in extreme conditions. Switching clipless pedals to platform and wearing insulated boots helps to keep the toes from falling off as well.

I too saw the ski bike thing; the one with the tank tread that replaces the rear wheel right? I would love to try it someday, but it's a bit pricey. In fact, there are a few steep uphills that I would like to try the tractor tread on in the summer.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I ride in pretty much any condition except above 6 inches or so. We got about 2" here on friday night and had a great day on saturday in the woods. Just had to stay off some of the off camber slick rocks etc.

I ride with fatties... 2.35's on a trail bike. You just need to "feel" the snow and rebalance based on the conditions. If you had a freeze/thaw/refreeze cycle, sometimes the "crunchies" give great traction.

czimborbryan

I can usually get humming pretty good even through the deeps. I'll never forget whipping by the XC skiers along the Airline Bike Trail. It was if they had seen a ghost.