• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Attitash 2.23.2013

Cheese

Date(s) Skied:02.23.2013
Resort or Ski Area: Attitash
Conditions: Machine Groomed
Trip Report:

Good coverage all around at Attitash and Bear Peak on Saturday. Great corduroy on Tim's, Ptarmigan, Moat, White Horse, Kachina, Avenger and Illusion. Not your typical New England grippy frozen corduroy but instead softer and closer to western varieties. Bumps were so so on Idiots, Grandstand and Myth Maker. If like me you prefer the bumps and crud, drop off the skiers left side of Kachina Falls and Kachina. Both are bumped up and full of snow deposits from skiers dusting the trails off and over the edge. Skiers right under the chair on Avenger is shaping up quite nice too although the first cliff is still boney and requires a pause to sight a safe line. The second cliff has iced over so can be launched at speed without worry. There's a nice peak in the middle to use as a booster for additional air that will carry you well over the small patch of twigs below although skiing through them isn't an issue either. Clearing them just offers more chairlift approval. I was very happy to see both Kachina and Avenger shaping up nicely for the spring conditions coming next month.

kickstand

Nice report. I was there on 2/23, as well. Skiers left on Kachina was great. Very icy down the middle, but the snow on the ridge separating the groomed and ungroomed was fantastic. Loved the snow on Tim's, too. I found if you could spot the icy patches well ahead of time and just stay in the snow, the skiing was great. Overall, I took it easy. I had some friends up and the dad was skiing with his kids on the beginner chair. My son was also in a lesson, so I kept swinging out to the left side of Attitash to check out what was going on with them.

Took both kids and the wife over to the magic carpet on Sunday morning. We were pretty much the only ones there until the lessons started at 10. It was killing me not to be able to head up and really ski. The snow was really nice and there was hardly anyone on the hill.