• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

zero degree sleeping bags

gmcunni

Are all bags created equal?

the thought of driving up night before and catching some ZZZs in the parking lot intrigues me as much of my skiing lately is day tripping. a google search of "zero degree sleeping bags" shows a wide range of pricing, Coleman @ $40 up to Marmot @ like $380. Are the more expensive bags worth it?

Cannonball

Like everything... yes to a point. You don't need the absolute most expensive. At that price point you are paying for brand and for weight that isn't important for car camping. But don't go cheap either.

I have a zero degree EMS poly fill bag, and a zero degree Marmot down bag. They are equally warm. I bought the EMS for car camping years ago but decided I didn't like lugging it on backcountry trips so I bought the light weight Marmot bag. But to tell the truth, I've actually carried the EMS for more miles than the Marmot and it never broke my back.

Decide on some priorities about weight, chance of wet, and comfort. Then find a good reliable brand in your price range and you'll be good.

gmcunni

thanks, weight and waterproof won't matter to me. this would strictly be for the rare occasion of an overnight for skiing in the back of the SUV.

Cannonball

Also don't underestimate the insulation (and comfort) of something underneath you. This is more true on the ground than in a car because the cold earth has a lot of thermal inertia working against you. But even in the car there is the problem that you are compressing the loft of your bag underneath you. So at least get a pad to sleep on. But really, you're in your SUV, so you might as well be comfortable AND warm and sleep on a full air mattress.

wtcobb

I have a very similar Coleman that I used to crash in my car last weekend. I have a more compact backpacking sleeping bag that's only rated for 32* but folds to about a half gallon size - more expensive, but much more convenient to carry.

I'm not planning on hiking overnight in 0* weather just yet anyways, so I'm fine with my cheap Coleman bag for the time being. My only knock on it is the size and weight (though I'm not sure you'd find a lightweight 0* bag anyways). This thing is bulky, no matter how I try to compress it. But it serves its purpose.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
In a car it's probably way less important. What you get with better bags is better waterproof-ness primarily.

If you are going to be in your car and have no risk of getting wet, down feathers is one of the best things you can do. It compacts super small and is very warm. Just loses all its effectiveness if you get it wet.

o3jeff

I'd probably try sleeping out in the car in the driveway first see how it is before I drive somewhere and try it. At least the house is only a few feet away this way!

ScottySkis

I'd probably try sleeping out in the car in the driveway first see how it is before I drive somewhere and try it. At least the house is only a few feet away this way!

Good idea, that is what I should have done before my freezing stay in Hotel Honda, at Gore a few weeks ago.

thetrailboss

Staff member
You know, if you were going to be getting a bag for backpacking and more serious use, I'd say go to the store and try them on, get the one from a reputable manufacturer and with the best insulation. Down or synthetic? Synthetic for more wet conditions. But since it sounds like you are just going to use it here and there in the car you can probably get away with one from Sierra Trading Post or something sight unseen. I might not go with the Coleman, but who knows.

Bumpsis

Since we're on the topic of sleeping in your car, I'm wondering about a little detail: do you crack a window as to allow some ventilation?

If the weather is just really wicked, windy,cold, etc, I'd would have the tendency to just roll up the windows shut. Is there a danger of suffocation?
The other upside of keeping the windows rolled up is for the vehicle to look like any other parked car. Number of places don't really allow overnight sleeping in your car on their lots.
I've never done it, but have been tempted, like for instance at the Pinkham Notch, so you can get an early start if you want to hit Tuckermans.

tomcat

Website
tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com
I have camped many times in car. More often in summer but all seasons. I never leave my window open in window. I did this for almost 2 consecutive weeks without opening window and was fine. The downside of this is frozen condensation indoors in winter. I use my Ridge Rest (foam pad) in winter. If I'm backpacking and using car to camp night before I use the pad I'm backpacking with. Usually inflatable. I highly recommend a bag with a hood and start off wearing a hat. I have been asked to move at Smuggs and uninterrupted by police on another occasion to make sure I was ok. It's a crap shoot at ski areas on whether or not they care. If the ski area is near hiking as they often are, parking trailheads often work if they are plowed. This works in VT near Long Trail such as Jay, App Gap lot near MRG, Rt 4 near Killi/Pico I believe a hiker lot, end of plowing near Smuggs. I've done this with success at interstate rest areas many times too. The right car helps too, I have an Outback so my seat folds down and I fit comfortably.. This wasn't so in my impreza. I used a rental Elantra and folded down backseat so trunk and back were one with legs in trunk and that worked well.
As for sleeping bags. Cheaper usually is heavier and less compression, synthetic fibers, often a rectangular bag vs mummy. If you are using it strictly for car camping you can get away with these features. Although I prefer a mummy bag for warmth. I have a cheaper Slumberjack 0 degree that I car camp with that is plenty warm and a mummy but bulky as hell and uses Quallofil insulation which is not very modern or compressible. I have a much better down that I backpack with but I'm not concerned with weight and size in my car.