• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

You Know You Are a Gaper If ....

darent

if i go out west they call me a gaper cause of my skinny skis, when I ski the east I'm a gaper cause of my skiing, I guess I am just a bicoastal gaper!!

jack97

If you demo a ski just to match the outfit you are wearing.

True story.... I was demoing at wachusetts, they let you demo three skis for the day. Went in after several runs to switch over to another ski. Person ahead of me wanted a ski in blue which turns out to match the jacket.

ScottySkis

Saw an excellent guy in the glades with blue jeans on today in the trails under the fast.chairs, he was a great skiier.:thumbup:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Some of you guys are taking that thing way to seriously. It was made to be a joke. It may have not been a funny joke, it may have been a poorly delivered joke, but it wasn't meant to be read seriously either way.

Personally, I think the notion of using the term gaper is a bit childish, even as a joke. It is taking pot shots at the casual skier which subsidizes our lifts. We've probably been that low level skier not doing things "correctly" at some point in our own skiing experiences. Makes you seem like a high schooler... getting your kicks by using a term to put someone else down for not conforming to norms and/or for being a skier still developing skills. Not quite the best way to encourage our fellow skiers that aren't at the same level.

Besides, neon is back en vogue as long as you are a hot shot skier and wear it ironically. :roll:

wa-loaf

Saw this guy a Pats Peak yesterday:

attachment.php

Attachments

• gaper.jpg
    gaper.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 312

C-Rex

Saw this guy a Pats Peak yesterday:

attachment.php

Maybe it's just his way of saying "F**k fuel economy!" LOL

Basically, a gaper is anyone who hasn't kept up with the current trends. When I ride, my smallest concern is staying in fashion. To me, you are a gaper if your concern is anything other than skiing/snowboarding. If you're more concerned with how you look in the bar at lunch, you're a gaper. Gapers come up with excuses not to ski, real skiers/riders are constantly looking for the silver lining. Sure, it's icy, -10 degrees, and windy with flat light, but the snow on the edges of upper portion of southeast facing trails with a "Q" the name is skiing great.