First at Mt. Snow...tips?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1

    First at Mt. Snow...tips?

    Heading to Mt. Snow for first time with my son, age 12. We're beginner/intermediate skiiers. Anyone ave comments, tips on making it a great trip?
    thanks in advance.


  2. #2
    ScottySkis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Less then 90 minutes to Catskills and 5 miles from the great Sams point
    Posts
    11,166

    Re: First at Mt. Snow...tips?

    Whole place has great crusing runs. I only went once this year. Definitely enjoy the couch 6 pack quad. Do lunch after 1 or before 12 when everyone else is in the lodge.

  3. #3

    Re: First at Mt. Snow...tips?

    Beginner/Intermediate- mainly stick to the Main Face and Sunbrook areas- just tons of great intermediate cruisers all over both those areas.

    Lifts wise- gotta ride the Bluebird atleast once! If its cold and windy you may choose to wait in the line (often can be 10-15+ min at the peak of a weekend crowd) because its great to be out of the cold + wind on the ride up. If the weather is nice, either ride the Grand Summit Express (parallels the Bluebird top to bottom but no bubble cover) or look to the Sundance triple for good cruising options

    If your kid likes jumps at all, atleast take a quick spin through the Carinthia
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days '07-'17 seasons: 515 Days

  4. #4
    Mt Snow is really the perfect mountain for beginner/ intermediate. It's just covered in blue runs, the natural terrain is great. I've been there twice this year after a decent snow, and it's been a blast. Really anywhere you head down it will be all right for skill level. I think there's only one small section that's a black, and even that isn't too challenging because it's a pretty short stretch of steep.

  5. #5
    ScottySkis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Less then 90 minutes to Catskills and 5 miles from the great Sams point
    Posts
    11,166

    Re: First at Mt. Snow...tips?

    Quote Originally Posted by hippiechick View Post
    Mt Snow is really the perfect mountain for beginner/ intermediate. It's just covered in blue runs, the natural terrain is great. I've been there twice this year after a decent snow, and it's been a blast. Really anywhere you head down it will be all right for skill level. I think there's only one small section that's a black, and even that isn't too challenging because it's a pretty short stretch of steep.
    So your a beginner still,?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    So your a beginner still,?
    Nope. I consider myself a very strong intermediate skier. I can follow you wherever you go (as long as you're not hucking off 30 ft cliffs or anything) but I may not be able to keep up with you. I've done a lot of pretty technical stuff, but I'm still trying to master it. I have good days and not so good days.

  7. #7

    Parking? Crowds?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    Whole place has great crusing runs. I only went once this year. Definitely enjoy the couch 6 pack quad. Do lunch after 1 or before 12 when everyone else is in the lodge.
    Many thanks for the 20/20. A couple more questions:

    MOOver isnt an option, so have to park. If I get there early (9) is there any problem parking close to Base?

    What time do the crowds show on Sundays?

  8. #8
    ScottySkis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Less then 90 minutes to Catskills and 5 miles from the great Sams point
    Posts
    11,166

    Re: First at Mt. Snow...tips?

    Quote Originally Posted by hippiechick View Post
    Nope. I consider myself a very strong intermediate skier. I can follow you wherever you go (as long as you're not hucking off 30 ft cliffs or anything) but I may not be able to keep up with you. I've done a lot of pretty technical stuff, but I'm still trying to master it. I have good days and not so good days.
    Me to I love Mt. Snow, northface is better then any other resorts in my opinion in South VT.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by fluid164 View Post
    Heading to Mt. Snow for first time with my son, age 12. We're beginner/intermediate skiiers. Anyone ave comments, tips on making it a great trip?
    thanks in advance.
    I think it should be obvious from what others have said that you can safely explore the entire resort without getting in over your head. Even Ripcord has a bail out so you can escape unharmed. It might be a great place to let your son lead for a change. Give him the map and tell him you'd like to ski all day without repeating any runs. Have a GREAT time!
    Quiver:
    Rossignol Experience 88 - 172cm (All Mountain)
    Rossignol 9SL - 161 (SL carver)
    Rossignol WC GS - 181cm (GS carver)
    Rossignol Z10 - 162cm (Bumps, crud & park)
    Rossignol Super 7 - 180cm (Powder)

  10. #10
    ScottySkis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Less then 90 minutes to Catskills and 5 miles from the great Sams point
    Posts
    11,166

    Re: First at Mt. Snow...tips?

    Quote Originally Posted by fluid164 View Post
    Many thanks for the 20/20. A couple more questions:

    MOOver isnt an option, so have to park. If I get there early (9) is there any problem parking close to Base?

    What time do the crowds show on Sundays?
    By 9 on weekend, they have several parking lots with shuttle buses. If you get their at 8 parking should be close to chair. You can and get to their lodges pretty easily. If you want some great non lodge food, eat under their fancy hotel on the hill in the deli, great sandwiches, never busy like the lodge. Place is for everyone but mainly people in hotel use it gmGrand Resort hotel I believe. Crowds like 930am be on the lift early and see what peak you like stay left peak I think good you and your son.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 PM.