Okemo... The Good, The Bad. What to hit, What to Missss. Lifts to hit, Trees to Run

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Okemo... The Good, The Bad. What to hit, What to Missss. Lifts to hit, Trees to Run

Hi all,

Ok few questions for you.. Doing a Okemo trip this weekend and need a little input. Going Riding Sunday staying over and Riding Monday. So 2 days riding to learn Okemo. Never been there yet been to half of VT now and adding. Can handle all trails black and above and allmost all gladed runs if not frozen over. Looking for extra fun trails if they exsist blues are ok(which blues are ok ) then black are fun and place to be at right times(Any to avoid,Which to Hit)??? and Secret/Nice Spots"coopers lodge killington style", Off Map trails "esp gladed unlisted", even a hidden old trail if they exsist. Going with a good bunch and should be fun and want to add to it.. The friends that are going have some knowings of the place but I like to bring something to the table if I can..Keep good glades in mind esp if ridden recently.
    Also what do you think Sat will do to the greatness most mountains got this week?? What will be left on sunday and into the week and of course where to find it?? Monday is just bonus round and test time : )
    Anyone going to OKEMO Sunday into Monday?? Off to Plot and Plan,, cough cough.......

Thanks Todd

make sure you spend a lot of time over on the south side as there are good glades over there for example outrage is excelent and the snow should be great this weekend. if your looking for bumps try out jackson gore (okemos second connected mountain) and go down upper limelight. for a great steep cruiser do quantum leap

I grew up skiing Okemo and know the mountain well. I probably have skied there over 500 times. There are no "secrets" for the most part at Okemo, pretty much what's on the trail map is what you get.

My plan of attack would be this if I were skiing there on Sunday.

Get there early, park in the Main lot.

Take the beginner area Quads to the Northstar Express and lap it a few times before the crowding gets bad.

1st Run: World Cup
    2nd Run: Chief
    Third Run: Searle's Way to Sidekick to Sel's Choice (Sel's for Bumps)

Then I'd work my way over to the Glades Peak South Face Areas. Take the Northstar back up and ski

Challenger to Fall Line
    Outrage
    Double Diamond

then over to Southface Proper to ski

Blind Faith
    Punchline
    Stump Jumper
    Loose Spruce

That should put you at about lunchtime, for which I'd head over to Solitude Base Area to eat. Leave the top of Glades Peak to get there by taking Buckhorn > Rumrunner > the Narrows > Whistler > Tomahawk > The Plunge. That's a really great sequence of runs where you'll get Glades, Cruising and Bumps over a long descent.

After lunch head over to Jackson Gore and ski it's terrain offerings to finish out the day before heading back to the main base.

Monday the place will be empty, but you'll know the mountain well, so just head for the areas you enjoyed the most on Sunday.

jolly.jpgone of my fav blues at okemo

Deadheadskier has a lot of great tips. I ski there all the time, so I know.

If you really like bumps, you don't want to miss Big Bang, Rolling Thunder, and White Lightning in the Jackson Gore area. These are natural snow trails that are finally open, and they bump up quite nicely. A lot of fun. Also, Ledges under the Sachem Quad is great for bumps. The Sachem Quad is kind of slow and doesn't take you all the way up the mountain, so you might want to take the Northstar Quad and ski down via Defiance or Countdown until you get to Easy Street (under the Sachem Quad; it's a wide, flat green); take this til it ends at Ledges. When you get to the bottom of Ledges, be sure to keep an eye out for an opening to the left so you can get back to the Northstar. Otherwise you'll end up back at the Base Lodge and have to ride those awful slow lifts again.

Another fun blue: Timberline under the Green Ridge Triple.

^^ great advice from people who know the place way better than me. couple things i think of:
    1. Sun/Mon combo is great for crowd avoidance. the place will thin out a lot after lunch as peeps head home from weekend.
    2. if you plan to buy lunch at a lodge AVOID going back to any of the lower base lodges (MAIN/JG). the sugar shack near the bottom of the Express lift is good, place at the top is good. solitude lodge is ok too but last time i was there it was more a restaurant with waiter/waitress service rather than grab it and eat place. reason is the extra lifts to get back up the hill.
    3. i prefer Jackson Gore skiing earlier in the day, it gets less light over there and unless it is super sunny i find the late day flat light bothersome.
    4. south face is great
    shit happens, wear a helmet.

2016/17
    MT Snow - 12.30 1.7 1.29 2.4 2.11
    Attitash - 2.17
    Black MTN - 2.18
    Wildcat - 2.19
    Eldora - 4.7
    Snowmass - 4.10
    Aspen - 4.11

FRITOLAYGUY: will you share its name?

Quote Originally Posted by MadPadraic View Post
    FRITOLAYGUY: will you share its name?
    Looks like the old poma line. Think it's called jolly green giant.

Quote Originally Posted by steamboat1 View Post
    Looks like the old poma line. Think it's called jolly green giant.
    thinking same.

personally i liked the wider cruising trails.
    shit happens, wear a helmet.

2016/17
    MT Snow - 12.30 1.7 1.29 2.4 2.11
    Attitash - 2.17
    Black MTN - 2.18
    Wildcat - 2.19
    Eldora - 4.7
    Snowmass - 4.10
    Aspen - 4.11

Yes jolly sorry i thought i put that in there

Thread Information